[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How do I download from a FIDO BBS to UNIX?

fac@burdvax.UUCP (02/11/87)

> How do I download from a FIDO BBS to UNIX?
> I have tried using cu and the ~!umodem -rt sequence and all I get is
> timed out.
>
> Suggestions?
> TIA, Tom.
> T.W. Beattie

Ditto here, I have also tried using kermit, both from Unix, and
from Procomm on the pc with zippo luck.

Frank Cooley
burdvax!fac (Hi Duck! I got your message and turned it around)

bob@ahxenix.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <3005@burdvax.UUCP>, fac@burdvax.UUCP (Frank Cooley) writes:

> > How do I download from a FIDO BBS to UNIX?
> > I have tried using cu and the ~!umodem -rt sequence and all I get is
> > timed out.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> > TIA, Tom.
> > T.W. Beattie
>
> Ditto here, I have also tried using kermit, both from Unix, and
> from Procomm on the pc with zippo luck.

I have been using two programs that seem to work very well in downloading
files off a FIDO or TBBS system.

I'm currently using Chuck Forsberg's PRO-YAM communication program for
general terminal emulation. (on SCO Xenix)  It has the basic xmodem protocol
built into this package.  For fancier file transfers, I use Chuck's ZMODEM
RZ & SZ programs.

Chuck can be reach via:

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  Voice: 503-621-3406  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
 TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 300/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

--
Bob Leffler  -  bob@ahxenix.REL.COM

  ...!ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <3005@burdvax.UUCP> fac@burdvax.UUCP (Frank Cooley) writes:

>> How do I download from a FIDO BBS to UNIX?
>> I have tried using cu and the ~!umodem -rt sequence and all I get is
>> timed out.

FIDO uses "window Kermit" as far as I can tell. I broke down and
got a copy of Procomm, which worked fine (v2.4.2). All of the
Kermit versions for UNIX seem to use regular Kermit protocol. If
you have an old version of Procomm you may want to upgrade.
Although it is probably on several BBS's in your area, before I
get a box of mail, it is definitely on
	*IX BBS
	(518) 346-8033

which uses old Kermit protocol (it's UNIX). Logon as NEW and
leave a message to SYSOP requesting download access. I had uucp
working, but had a major hardware problem and am running on a
much smaller disk. Public access UNIX is also gone for a while.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen