[comp.sys.ibm.pc] File Recovery?

hobie@sq.UUCP (02/17/87)

	I am reposting this because our upstream site was going through some
problems.  A friend of mine would like to know about any program that can
recover corrupted files (specifically dBASE files nuked on a power outage).
He currently uses an old version of Norton Utilities and has to spend hours
piecing files back together.  If you know of any, please mail me their names
and publishers.

 Hobie Orris				|
 SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, Ont.		|"Save the Giant Speckled Barking Toad"

roger@batcomputer.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <1987Feb16.183932.21852@sq.uucp> hobie@sq.uucp (Hobie Orris) writes:
>A friend of mine would like to know about any program that can
>recover corrupted files (specifically dBASE files nuked on a power outage).

   I do not know of any programs that can recover damaged dBase files.  There
is, however, a book on the market that provides step-by-step instructions on
dBase file recovery, for dBase versions II, III, and III+, using dBase, the
DOS DEBUG, and three BASIC utilities to (ugh) type in on your own.  I have
used this book to successfully recover from damage both simple and complex
(the possible types of damage include misplaced or extra end-of-file markers,
damaged file headers, displaced or overwritten data, and combinations thereof),
and recommend it to anyone experiencing difficulties.  The book is titled
SALVAGING DAMAGED DBASE FILES, written by Paul W. Heiser, and is available for
$ 19.95 from Comtech Publishing, Dept. K, P.O. Box 456, Pittsford, NY 14534
(Phone: (716) 586-3356).

DISCLAIMER:  I have no affiliation with the author of this book or its
publisher, other than as a satisfied customer.