[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Are there IBM compatible RLL controllers

rspector@brahms.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (02/23/87)

Distribution:na

In article <16800051@clio> berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>You don't specify what you mean by "IBM compatible".  By their
>very nature, RLL controllers aren't compatible with the standard
>IBM controllers at some level.  You can't unplug a disk drive
>formatted under RLL and read it with an MFM controller.
>
>			Mike Berger
>			Center for Advanced Study
>			University of Illinois

Forgive  me if I was not clear.  I thought, though, that in my posting
I had mentioned what I meant by "IBM compatible".  I wanted a controller
that could run an version of unix put out by IBM, PC/IX.  Only a few
select controllers could run it.  I wanted to know if there were any RLL
controllers that also had this capability.

Rob Spector

ARPA: rspector@brahms.Berkeley.EDU Rob Spector W/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
UUCP: {cbosgd,sun,dual,decwrl,decvax,ihnp4,hplabs,...}!ucbvax!brahms!rspector