[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Z-158 Memory Boards

anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (02/18/87)

OK netland, lay it on me. I'm getting ready to add RAM disk space and
want advice. I have a Z-158 with 640K, 2 floppies, 30MB hard disk. I'm
looking into memory expansion boards, at least 1MB, and maybe 2MB.

What I've heard is:

a.  JRAM (Tall Tree) boards will not work in a Z-158 (apparently
    a video board conflict?). Too bad, they're good and not over-
    priced (have a JRAM-2 in the office (true) XT).

b.  QuadRAM boards are said not to work in a Z-158.

c.  Intel AboveBoards are said to work. They seem expensive.

d.  AST RAMpage boards are said to work.

e.  The AST Premium Plus board may work (I could use the extra
    serial port & clock). If I went that route, would the daughter
    board (needed for the second 1MB) intrude into the neighboring
    slot?

f.  The AST boards both offer the EEMS superset of EMS. I don't
    know whether that is especially significant. Is it?

g.  Are there other (perhaps less expensive?) boards that will
    also work?

Please e-mail responses and I will summarize for the general good
in about two weeks. I'm interested less in speculations than in
knowing what will work in a Z-158 or won't work in a Z-158, and
other pertinent facts. ======tanks======>>

--
==ARPA:==============anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,rutgers,  (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |

luis@grinch.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <1089@uwmacc.UUCP> anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (Jess Anderson) writes:
>OK netland, lay it on me. I'm getting ready to add RAM disk space and
>want advice. I have a Z-158 with 640K, 2 floppies, 30MB hard disk. I'm
>looking into memory expansion boards, at least 1MB, and maybe 2MB.
>
> (Partly deleted dut to size)
>--
>==ARPA:==============anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
>| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,rutgers,  (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |
>|    akgua,allegra,usbvax}!uwvax!uwmacc!anderson   Madison, WI 53706 |
>==BITNET:======================anderson@wiscmacc===608/263-6988=======

I too have been looking around for a memory board, but not for a Z-158...
I am purchasing an AT compat, and I found a board which has the following:

  2 serial ports (second optional)  [Configurable for COM ports 1 thru 4]
  1 paralell port
  2 MegaBytes of memory (Not EMS) for when DOS 5.0 comes out
  Includes software for RamDisk and Print Spooler

The board itself if a 16 bit board, so I don't know if your machine is
an AT compatable or not, but if so, this board is the way to go. The board
is only $179.00 w/0k of memory, and is made to handle up to 12 Mhz machines.
Here is the info on the company that sells it:

   Club AT, Inc.
   46707 Fremont Blvd.
   Fremont, Ca.  94539
   (415) 490-2201   <<-- Sorry, they don't have an 800 number.. I looked...

Anyway, I hoped this helped you out a little bit, or maybe someone else...
If anyone is interested, I can post a review of my board when I get it...

Luis Chanu                             "Live every day as if it were your last
UUCP: ihnp4!sun!altos86!grinch!luis       because one day you will be right."

don@pecnos.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <1089@uwmacc.UUCP> anderson@uwmacc.UUCP writes:
>OK netland, lay it on me. I'm getting ready to add RAM disk space and
>want advice. I have a Z-158 with 640K, 2 floppies, 30MB hard disk. I'm
>looking into memory expansion boards, at least 1MB, and maybe 2MB.

I have installed a board called FASTCARD in my Z-158 and am quite pleased
with it. They have two models a III and a IV. The III comes with 2mb of
memory. The IV comes with 2mb of memory, a serial and a parallel port,
a game port and a clock calander. You can install 1 type IV board and
up to 3 type III boards in your system. They include disk caching and
print buffer software. The memory is Lotus/Intel Microsoft compatible.
Both boards cost the same $295 (yes - only $295 with all the memory).

I got my board from a company called Peripheral Marketing Inc. in
Arizona, (602) 483-7983.

The only thing bad I have found with this board is the print buffering
software. When I use their print buffer software it takes considerably
longer to print a file then when not using their software. I have called
the support service but the person I talked to was very inexperienced.
I was told they would investigate and get back to me. That was a couple
of weeks ago and have not heard from them yet.

Name........:  Donald F. Hopkins
Company.....:  CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
US Mail.....:  106 Apple St., Tinton Falls, N.J. 07724
Phone.......:  201-758-7268
UUCP..(work):  ...!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!pecnos!don
      (home):  ...!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!pecnos!buslog!don

Disclaimer: The above opinions are only mine and not that of my employer.