[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Downloading from a Fido BBS

rch@spark.UUCP (02/25/87)

> In article <3005@burdvax.UUCP> fac@burdvax.UUCP (Frank Cooley) writes:
> >> How do I download from a FIDO BBS to UNIX?
> >> I have tried using cu and the ~!umodem -rt sequence and all I get is
> >> timed out.
>
> FIDO uses "window Kermit" as far as I can tell. I broke down and
> got a copy of Procomm, which worked fine (v2.4.2).

Let me start out by saying that I have been a Fido BBS Sysop for almost 2
years now.  Now let me tell you that the response above is not quite
correct.  Fido has a bug in its implementation of Kermit protocol.  In the
initialization packet it tells the receiver that it will not do 8th bit
quoting, then it does it anyway.  If you can set your Kermit to do 8th bit
quoting regardless of what the Fido kermit tells it, then you should have
no more problems.  This bug is in every version of Fido up to the latest
version (11w).  It has persisted because Fido strips the parity bit off of
incoming characters, and doesn't really know if it is on an 8 bit or 7 bit
line.

- Bob -

Sysop of Fido (now Opus) node 132/101 - The UN*X Gateway (603) 888-8179
or reachable via UUCP at ...{ihnp4,decvax}!encore!vaxine!spark!rch