[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Epson and/or Toshiba font editors

goer@sphinx.UUCP (02/23/87)

A recent posting (HP font editors, cramer@kontron.uucp <1373@kontron.uucp>)
listed some editors for those who want to design and/or upload fonts to
their HP laser printer.  Does anyone know of font-editors like this for
either the Epson FX-80/85 or (better) the Toshiba 321/341/351 line?

In case anyone is wondering what I want this stuff for, it's to make multi-
lingual output possible not only on my pc's screen, but on my hardcopy.  I
frequently write in English, then quote in, say, Greek, Hebrew, Syriac,
Arabic, etc.  The only academic word-processor designed specifically for such
tasks is Nota Bene (an excellent XyWrite extension).  Gamma Productions'
Multilingual Scribe will handle foreign characters of all types; however, it
does not constitute what I would call a full-featured word-processor.  Al-
most any wp can be hacked by your local computer store to produce and print
foreign fonts.  Yet in most cases, wordwrap will get screwed up for right-
to-left languages like Hebrew.  Programs like Wordmill will do Hebrew and
English, but nothing else (and no vowels).  Moreover, they are not academic
wp's (no footnotes, etc.).  That leaves me with Nota Bene.  Unfortunately,
Nota Bene's downfall is that it includes no font-adding capabilities what-
soever.  Hence my need for a separate Epson or Toshiba font editor....

                                         -Richard L. Goerwitz, III
                            (bitnet, please -- goer@sphinx.uchicago)

tim@sunybcs.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <1158@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> goer@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Richard L. Goerwitz III) writes:
>A recent posting (HP font editors, cramer@kontron.uucp <1373@kontron.uucp>)
>listed some editors for those who want to design and/or upload fonts to
>their HP laser printer.  Does anyone know of font-editors like this for
>either the Epson FX-80/85 or (better) the Toshiba 321/341/351 line?

I dont know if this will help, but I wrote a font editor for the
IBM Proprinter.  The two are pretty much compatible, but I am not
sure how compatible they are for downloading fonts, so it may not
work on an Epson.

I could post (or mail) it if anybody is interested.  I have the following
fonts defined for the proprinter:

	* standard
	* italic
	* near-letter-quality (roman-sarif)
	* cursive (needs work however)
	* a 'fat' font

In addition to these, it is very easy to define your own (11x8 characters).

All of these fonts may also be used on a graphics display within your own
program (i have routines to plot these fonts from a turbo pascal program).
An additional font allows you to have 120 columns (or so) on a standard
graphic display (but under your own program control only) - this font
also needs a little work.

If there is interest, I could mail people this program (no guarantees
that it will work on an Epson though), or if there is enough interest
I could post it to this newsgroup (along with the fonts).

--------
     __\ \____/  / `--'            I'm a programmer not a Doctor!"
   Timothy D. Thomas                 SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
   UUCP:  [decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!tim
   CSnet: tim@buffalo,   ARPAnet: tim%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY