[comp.sys.ibm.pc] V-20 instruction set

darren@ethos.UUCP (02/16/87)

I read in the documentation for A86 (a good SW compiler - I reccomend it), that
the new instructions such as PUSHA, POPA & BOUND were part of the 186/286/NEC
chips.  Does this include the NEC V-20 (or V-20-8)?

Has anyone out there heard any news about or tried the new Turbo-C compiler by
Borland?  I'd like to know how it compares to Microsoft, DeSmet and the other
biggies.  Does it incorporate a run-time library like Turbo-Pascal (let's hope
not.)?  Is it as slow as Turbo-Pascal (also a result of that library).

-Darren
  *----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====----*
 //  Darren Friedlein,  ANSI-FX software     Phone: 919/596-7746  \\
((   Rt 4  Box 416, Durham, NC  27703               919/596-9492   ))
 \\            ...{burl,cbosgd,ihnp4,mcnc}!ethos!darren           //
  *----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====-----=====----*
     Zaphod Beeblebrox is now appearing in "No Sex Please, We're
     Amoeboids and Gatularians" at the Bruntos Vogon Star House.

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (02/17/87)

> I read in the documentation for A86 (a good SW compiler - I reccomend it), that
> the new instructions such as PUSHA, POPA & BOUND were part of the 186/286/NEC
> chips.  Does this include the NEC V-20 (or V-20-8)?
>
>  //  Darren Friedlein ...{burl,cbosgd,ihnp4,mcnc}!ethos!darren           //

I tried out some of the 80186 instructions on my Compaq DeskPro
with a V30 replacing the original 8086.  Everything I tried worked
just fine.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

dan@srs.UUCP (02/17/87)

> I heard that PUSHA, POPA & BOUND were part of the 186/286/NEC
> chips.  Does this include the NEC V-20 (or V-20-8)?

Yes.  The V-20,V-30 instruction set looks like a proper superset of the
186 instruction set.  If there is interest, I could post a list of the
V-20 native instructions (which include bit field operations) with timings.
- Dan Kegel

sbanner1@uvicctr.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <124@srs.UUCP> dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) writes:
>> I heard that PUSHA, POPA & BOUND were part of the 186/286/NEC
>> chips.  Does this include the NEC V-20 (or V-20-8)?
>
>Yes.  The V-20,V-30 instruction set looks like a proper superset of the
>186 instruction set.  If there is interest, I could post a list of the
>V-20 native instructions (which include bit field operations) with timings.
>- Dan Kegel

Yes, please do.  Or at least send me a copy direct if there is not enough
other interest.

                       Thanks,

                      S. John Banner

UUCP     ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!sbanner1
BITNET   ccsjb@uvvm
ARPA     sbanner1@uvunix.UVIC.CDN

#1 1121 Fort St.
Victoria BC.
Canada
V8V 3K9

latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (02/24/87)

> Yes.  The V-20,V-30 instruction set looks like a proper superset of the
> 186 instruction set.  If there is interest, I could post a list of the
> V-20 native instructions (which include bit field operations) with timings.
> - Dan Kegel

I would definitely be interested in a copy of this, my V-20 came with no
documentation when I mail ordered it.  I would be indebted if you could
mail me a copy.

				Ken Latham
				..!ihnp4!codas!bsdpkh!latham

P.S. This would have been private mail except 'smail' doesn't seem to
exist any more, I'm not sure it ever did :-) .

campbell@maynard.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <271@bsdpkh.UUCP> latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (Ken Latham) writes:

>I would definitely be interested in a copy of this, my V-20 came with no
>documentation when I mail ordered it.  I would be indebted if you could
>mail me a copy.

Why don't you just *telephone your local NEC sales office?*  They'll be
*glad* to send you a free manual for the V20 and V30 with more information
than anyone in their right mind would want to type in.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109