[comp.sys.ibm.pc] XMODEM or KERMIT in background

pitaro@savax.UUCP (02/23/87)

A long time ago I saw a PD program mentioned which would do XMODEM or
KERMIT transfers in the background allowing you to do other things at
the same time (non-modem related of course).  If anyone has any
information on this or any other similar program I'd appreciate the
pointer.

	Michael Pitaro

USMail:	Sanders Associates		UUCP:	decvax!savax!pitaro
	MER24-1583C			PHONE:	+1 (603) 885-9036
	CS 2034				HOME:	46-D Hampshire Drive
	Nashua, NH 03063-2034			Nashua, NH 03063

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <509@savax.UUCP>, pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro) writes:
> A long time ago I saw a PD program mentioned which would do XMODEM or
> KERMIT transfers in the background allowing you to do other things at
> the same time (non-modem related of course).  If anyone has any
> information on this or any other similar program I'd appreciate the
> pointer.
>
> 	Michael Pitaro

There is a package called SideTalk which is published by Lattice.
It was originally written by MagicSoft but I guess they decided
to go with a company with larger resources to publish their
program.  Smart move.  You can get SideTalk from most
programmer's shops, such as Programmer's Connection and
Programmer's Shop, etc.  You can also get it from Lattice.

I have use SideTalk and am pretty impressed.  It works as you
would want, which is better than I thought MS-DOS computers
could.  It has a programming language so you can write scripts in
the SideTalk language.  This allows you file management, login
scripts, and whatever.

SideTalk does capture, XMODEM and YMODEM in the foreground or
background.  You can switch between background and foreground any
time by hitting the hot key.  There is even a flip command in the
language!  Too bad they didn't build one into DOS but I realize
that's a little too ambitious and risky.

Disclaimer: Do you really think that after writing this article in this
style that I work for any above-mentioned companies and that I need a
disclaimer?

Tom

--
Tom Reingold;  The Rockefeller University; 1230 York Av; NY 10021
PHONE: (212) 570-7709 [office]; (212) 304-2504 [home]

jjc@sdiris1.UUCP (02/25/87)

in article <509@savax.UUCP>, pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro) says:

> .. PD program mentioned which would do XMODEM or
> KERMIT transfers in the background ..
>
> 	Michael Pitaro

I would like some info about this product if it exists.
UUCP: ...!sdcsvax!jack!man!sdiris1!jim |  Jim Carter
Work : +1 619 450 6516                 |  Control Data Corporation (CIM)
Home : +1 619 455 0607                 |  4455 Eastgate Mall,

ee161aba@sdcc18.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <549@sdiris1.UUCP> jjc@sdiris1.UUCP (Jim Carter) writes:
>in article <509@savax.UUCP>, pitaro@savax.UUCP (Michael Pitaro) says:
>>
>> .. PD program mentioned which would do XMODEM or
>> KERMIT transfers in the background ..

I don't know of any PD programs which will do it, however I have been using
Mirror, from SoftKlone for several months and am very pleased with it.  The
price is reasonable, list price is $69.95.  It emulates Crosstalk and allows
you to shift it into the background and have it multi-task with another program.
Naturally, you shouldn't expect to be able to run Flight Simulator in the
foreground, but I have run it with Lotus 1-2-3 and PC-Write without any
problems.  It supports Xmodem, Kermit the Crosstalk protocol, and I believe
YMODEM.

Softklone can be contacted at :

	1210 E. Park Ave,
	Tallahassee FL 32301
	(904) 878-8564

Of course I'm not associated with SoftKlone, don't be ridiculous!

			Cheers,
			David L. Smith
	Send here -->	{ucbvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!man!sdeggo!dave
			{ucbvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc18!ee161aba
			"Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

owen@gt-eedsp.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <342@rocky2.UUCP> reintom@rocky2.UUCP (Tom Reingold) writes:
>> A long time ago I saw a PD program mentioned which would do XMODEM or
>> KERMIT transfers in the background allowing you to do other things at
>> the same time (non-modem related of course).  If anyone has any
>
>There is a package called SideTalk which is published by Lattice.

I use Double Dos for this function. That way I can use my favorite comm
program (or anything else for that matter) and switch back and forth
between the two. By the way, I have found it to be VERY reliable and not very
buggy. At only about 30 bucks, it is a real bargain.....

--
Owen Adair, Digital Signal Processing Lab, Ga. Institute of Technology
uucp ... !{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!gt-eedsp!owen

berger@clio.UUCP (02/26/87)

There's a commercially available program called Backcomm that does this.
I found Backcomm to be a little slow and unpolished, and the most use-
ful features were inadequately documented.  But it does function.

I've seen a shareware program that purports to do this, but I don't have
it (or any details on it) yet.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger