[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FASTBACK disk backup utility

ddb@viper.UUCP (02/25/87)

Can Fastback use 1.2meg floppies, either in 360k mode or at full density?

--
	-- David Dyer-Bennet
	Usenet: ...viper!ddb

pnessutt@nis.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <584@viper.UUCP> ddb@viper.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
>Can Fastback use 1.2meg floppies, either in 360k mode or at full density?
>
>--

I am presently using Fastback on a Deskpro 286 with a 1.2meg
floppy as my backup drive.  Fastback writes the backup files in
its own format at full density.  Although I'm not sure whether
Fastback can create 360K Floppy backups on a 1.2meg drive, I have
been able to successfully read backups made on a PC-XT's 360K drive
with my 1.2meg drive without a hitch.

-Bob

--
 Robert A. Monio                              UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!nis!pnessutt
 Systems/Analyst - Technical Services         ATT: (612) 894-9494

fritzson@bigburd.UUCP (02/28/87)

>In article <584@viper.UUCP> ddb@viper.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
>>Can Fastback use 1.2meg floppies, either in 360k mode or at full density?

If you have a 1.2Meg drive fastback will write 1.2 megs per floppy on the
high density disks and 720K per disk on standard dsdd disks. It will not
create a 360K disk with a 1.2Meg drive.

In any event, no matter which drive or floppy you use, the backups can
only be read by fastback. They use completely nonstandard formats.

	-Rich Fritzson
	 {seismo,sdcrdcf,psuvax1}!burdvax!fritzson