[net.music] Best guitarist

blickstein@tle.DEC (Dave Blickstein) (10/16/85)

>Well, if your willing to concede that "Guitar Players" magazine is a source
>to respect, why don't you  say who has won the "best overall guitarist" more
>times than Steve Morse?  Steve Howe is the only guitarist to win it 5 times
>and is the only guitarist to be promoted to the "Hall of Fame" in the "overall"
>category.  In your own words, this claim is "practically unchallengeable".
>
>		- John Lipinski		{ihnp4,decvax}!masscomp!lip

Well I might challenge it by saying that Morse hasn't been in the public eye as
long as Howe.   Morse is still dominating and there's nothing to indicate that
he won't win 5 or more times.  I think Morse's wins have extra weight when you
consider that unlike Howe, who played in a superstar rock band and is known to
anyone reasonably familiar with rock music, Morse has won in spite of his
considerable obscurity (no hits, no airplay, hard-to-find albums). It's clear
that guitarists have had to seek Morse out, whereas a day rarely goes by that I
don't hear an old Yes tune on the radio.  Also Howe seems to have slacked off
since he left Yes.

But in all seriousness, it's clear that both Morse and Howe (and many others)
are valid nominations.   I didn't mean to belittle Howe's contributions to
guitar playing.   Obviously there is no universal best.

	Dave Blickstein

(UUCP)  {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-tle!blickstein

(ARPA)  BLICKSTEIN%TLE.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/17/85)

> From:	Dave Blickstein

> Morse has won in spite of his considerable obscurity (no hits, no
> airplay, hard-to-find albums).

He can't be *that* obscure.  His new album is out on obvious display at
Strawberries -- right next to Kate Bush's new album....

			 -Doug Alan
			   nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP

pickle@nmtvax.UUCP (10/22/85)

    Stevie Ray Vaughan was in Albuquerque a few days ago, and deserves a
mention--in a word, he was outstanding.  I've listened to all his albums,
and his live preformance leaves them in the dust.  "Third Stone from the
Sun" (Hendrix) is not one of my favorites, but Vaughan did a great job on
it, and two Hendrix songs in one night gives him a few more points in my
book.
    I really can't compare Vaughan against the vast horde of "greatest
guitarist ever, no question about it" as I don't know too much about most
of them.  All I'm saying is don't count Stevie Ray out until you have heard
him live.
    Vaughan is really talented, especially considering he's also from Tex...
Maybe I'd better not say that :-).

Patrick H. Madden | "See the guru with the Genesis and the Pink Floyd
New Mexico Tech   |  Yeah buddy, that's his own VAX
Box 2244          |  That guru's got his own HP2821A
Socorro, NM 87801 |  That guru, he fixes EMACS"
       {The Shunned Plains of Leng}!cmcl2!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!pickle
                                   !ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!pickle
Disclaimer: My employer likes Peter Gabriel, but I don't know how he feels
about Stevie Ray.

kirsch@sjuvax.UUCP (P. Kirsch) (10/25/85)

In article <822@nmtvax.UUCP> pickle@nmtvax.UUCP (Patrick Madden) writes:

>    Stevie Ray Vaughan was in Albuquerque a few days ago, and deserves a
>mention--in a word, he was outstanding.  I've listened to all his albums,
>and his live preformance leaves them in the dust.  "Third Stone from the
>Sun" (Hendrix) is not one of my favorites, but Vaughan did a great job on
>it, and two Hendrix songs in one night gives him a few more points in my
>book.
>    I really can't compare Vaughan against the vast horde of "greatest
>guitarist ever, no question about it" as I don't know too much about most
>of them.  All I'm saying is don't count Stevie Ray out until you have heard
>him live.
>    Vaughan is really talented, especially considering he's also from Tex...
>Maybe I'd better not say that :-).
>
>Patrick H. Madden | "See the guru with the Genesis and the Pink Floyd
>New Mexico Tech   |  Yeah buddy, that's his own VAX
>Box 2244          |  That guru's got his own HP2821A
>Socorro, NM 87801 |  That guru, he fixes EMACS"
>       {The Shunned Plains of Leng}!cmcl2!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!pickle
>                                   !ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!pickle
>Disclaimer: My employer likes Peter Gabriel, but I don't know how he feels
>about Stevie Ray.

Could anyone out there give me a list of tour dates for S.R. Vaughan??

(See Larry--here's someone you've heard of!! :-))

--

Another wunnerful letter from the semi-intelligent rotting brain of:

                              Paul Kirsch
                              St. Joseph's University
                              Philadelphia, Pa

{ astrovax | allegra | bpa | burdvax } !sjuvax!kirsch

Warning: Objects in Terminal Room are Closer than they Appear...

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/26/85)

I heard that Kate Bush played the guitar a few times. Obviously, she is
the world's greatest guitarist.