[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-Fortran ver. 4.0

speter@bacchus.UUCP (03/01/87)

I recently beta tested Microsoft Fortran version 4.0.  To those of
you who are serious fortran programmers this version is well worth
a look see over the previous 3.31 version.  It is on sale now and
retails for about $450, less if you are a student at many colleges.
They have managed to reduce their code size by 1/3 while increasing
excution performance by almost 50%.  I ran these tests on an
IBM-PC XT w/640k, co-processor (8087), and hercules graphics.  A simple
15 line code using floating point and a 30k repetition of a loop with
an astro-physic algorithm included was used to bench mark against old
3.31 MS-Fortran and Ryan-MacFarland ProFortran.  In beat both hands
down.  The answer, by the way, came out dead on every time to the
minus 8 decimal.