[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT motherboard for XT, needs suggestions

wei@tiger.UUCP (03/03/87)

We would like to upgrade our IBM/PC/XT to AT(clone?) by replacing
the motherboard to AT style.  We want to keep our current video
board, disk drive (flopy and hard), power supply (135W, if possible)
, IEEE-488 GPIP board.
Please mail me your suggestions concerning where I can get this
kind of board.   Thanks in advance.
HP  Wei     (wei@princeton.UUCP)

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <173@tiger.Princeton.EDU>, wei@tiger.Princeton.EDU (P Wei) writes:
> We would like to upgrade our IBM/PC/XT to AT(clone?) by replacing
> the motherboard to AT style.  We want to keep our current video
> board, disk drive (flopy and hard), power supply (135W, if possible)
> , IEEE-488 GPIP board.

	I was thinking of doing that very thing, but there are some possible
problems:
	1) apparently AT peripheral cards are a *bit* taller than XT cards.
		hence you have an AT motherboard, but can't fit AT cards
		into your XT case.
	2) if you check, you'll find the AT motherboards expect a bit more
		amperage than is put out by the 135W power supplies. This
		may vary from AT clone to AT clone
	3) AT hard disk controllers are different from XT ones. I do not
		know the details, but I am sure it is another well-thought-
		out-idea from IBM

	Anyhow, if there are any hardware gurus out there, please prove me
wrong. I haven't had the time lately to fully check this out.

	I've also heard awful rumors about reliability...

--
"It is better to shred the bugger than to bugger the shredder."
					-ancient doltic proverb.