[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DDJ Unix-like shell

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (03/03/87)

In the Feb. '87 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal, there is an ad for a book +
software from the publisher.  The title is "On Command: Writing a Unix-like
Shell for MS-DOS."  The book + sw are about $60.  Before I put my money down,
I'd like to hear any comments from people who know about this system.
Specifically, I'd like to know:

	1.  Do "all" MS-DOS application programs work?  Particularly those
	    that access the keyboard directly.
	2.  Do tsr programs (e.g. Sidekick) still work?
	3.  Can programs which access extended/expanded memory still do so?
	4.  Do various graphics boards coexist with it?

If anyone thinks there is another Un*x-like shell program that does better
wrt points (1-4) than this one, I'd like to hear about that too.  (Or for that
matter, if there's a version of Un*x that handles those--but I think I know
the answer to that.)

Keep those cards and letters coming; I'll post responses if there's
interest...
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Advanced Technology Center

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (03/05/87)

In article <476@bcsaic.UUCP> michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (Michael Maxwell) writes:
>In the Feb. '87 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal, there is an ad for a book +
>software from the publisher.  The title is "On Command: Writing a Unix-like
>Shell for MS-DOS."  The book + sw are about $60.  Before I put my money down,
>I'd like to hear any comments from people who know about this system.

I played with a bunch of UNIX-like shells for PC/MS-DOS about 18 months
ago.  I think I even tried the one DDJ is advertising now.  They all
worked as advertised.  However, all of them interacted with at least
one major program I wanted to use.  Most TSR programs tend to have problems
with at least one other application....todd