[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is MS-DOS 3.2 full of bugs?

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/05/87)

While trying to analyze the "date not advancing at midnight" problem I
recently reported on my "turbo" XT clone (a Wugo PCII-AD from Sun Com-
puters Inc., running MS-DOS 3.2 and Award XT BIOS 2.03), I mentioned the
problem to a friend who is in the personal computer business.

As soon as he heard me say "MS-DOS 3.2", he said that 3.2 was well known
to be *so* full of bugs (including disk corruption problems!) that I'd
be extremely well advised to "downgrade" my system to MS-DOS 3.1 as soon
as I possibly could.

He said further that his company had declined an upgrade to MS-DOS 3.2,
preferring instead to wait until 3.21 comes out.

Comments, anyone?

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1600 // USA
	wales@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU   ...!(ucbvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4)!ucla-cs!wales
"Sir, there is a multilegged creature crawling on your shoulder."

jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) (03/06/87)

In article  wales@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>. I mentioned the problem to a friend who is in the personal computer business.
>As soon as he heard me say "MS-DOS 3.2", he said that 3.2 was well known
>to be *so* full of bugs (including disk corruption problems!) that I'd
>be extremely well advised to "downgrade" my system to MS-DOS 3.1 as soon
>as I possibly could.

I too was concerned about DOS 3.2 and posted a similar question to the net
about 2 or 3 months ago.  I did not get any responses back that would
indicate any major problems.  Since then I have upgraded 9 10 meg pc-xts
one 20 meg pc-xt and a hardcard 20 on a clone to dos 3.2 with no problems
and in fact I kind of like the added features of 3.2 over even 3.1.  Let me
know if you (or anyone else ) have trouble with it.  I would like to be
forwarned if trouble is pending.

Jack