[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Too Good to Be True

ted@imsvax.UUCP (03/05/87)

The reality is that controller boards which can handle color resolution
of 1024x1024 or thereabouts are now going for around $1600 rock bottom, and
anything which could handle the monitor mentioned in the Byte article
would probably also be in that ballpark.  Give it another 8-9 months or
so and cheap controller boards based on the TI 31040 chip should be avail-
able in quantity.  Resolutions should go slightly beyond 1024 squared.

Ted Holden,
IMS

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <697@imsvax.UUCP> ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:
>The reality is that controller boards which can handle color resolution
>of 1024x1024 or thereabouts are now going for around $1600 rock bottom, and
>anything which could handle the monitor mentioned in the Byte article
>would probably also be in that ballpark.  Give it another 8-9 months or
>so and cheap controller boards based on the TI 31040 chip should be avail-
>able in quantity.  Resolutions should go slightly beyond 1024 squared.

I have in my hand a writeup on a new graphics board from Quad
(probably made by Video7) called the Quad HPG card, which uses
the Intel chip. Please don't send flames about Intel vs. TI, I
didn't design it. Supposedly has 1280x768 resolution in 256
colors, is about 100 times faster then the EGA (how in hell do
they measure that?), and costs $400-500.

The sketch of the chip specs seem to indicate that thei could be
a real product. It was shown at Comdex (Fall 86), so they had at
least one.

Perhaps not even 8-9 months...

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen