[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PROCOMM KERMIT problem

dsd@hpsadla.UUCP (03/03/87)

I'm using PROCOMM 2.4 on an IBM Compatible, MSDOS3.1, 640K, 20Meg HD,
4.77 Mhz.

PROCOMM won't download files using KERMIT protocol.  I can download fine
using the KERMIT software I've got, but it won't work from PROCOMM.
Usually I'm downloading from the UN*X system at work.

From the PROCOMM documentation it seems that PROCOMM implements a new
version of the KERMIT protocol, but also states that it is compatible
with older versions.  I'm wondering if this might be the problem?

I've set up PROCOMM'S KERMIT parameters as closely to the corresponding
parameters in the KERMIT software (which works fine), and I've tried many
permutations, to no avail.

Suggestions?  Comments?

Donald St. Denis

darrylo@hpsrlc.UUCP (03/04/87)

> I'm using PROCOMM 2.4 on an IBM Compatible, MSDOS3.1, 640K, 20Meg HD,
> 4.77 Mhz.
>
> PROCOMM won't download files using KERMIT protocol.  I can download fine
> using the KERMIT software I've got, but it won't work from PROCOMM.
> Usually I'm downloading from the UN*X system at work.

     What parity and databit settings do you use?  Some other programs
that support the Kermit protocol need to operate at 8N1, not 7E1 (for
UNIX systems).

     -- Darryl Okahata
        hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo

fritzson@bigburd.PRC.Unisys.COM (Richard Fritzson) (03/06/87)

In article <2490004@hpsadla.HP> dsd@hpsadla.HP (Donald St. Denis) writes:
>PROCOMM won't download files using KERMIT protocol.  I can download fine
>using the KERMIT software I've got, but it won't work from PROCOMM.
>Usually I'm downloading from the UN*X system at work.

Most of the time that this is reported the problem is solved by setting
your parity to "space" rather than "even" or "odd" or "none". I have
no idea why, but that solved my PROCOMM to UNIX via KERMIT problems,
and I know it has solved it for others.

joeld@ecsvax.UUCP (Joel Dunn) (03/06/87)

In article <2490004@hpsadla.HP>, dsd@hpsadla.HP (Donald St. Denis) writes:
> PROCOMM won't download files using KERMIT protocol.  I can download fine
> using the KERMIT software I've got, but it won't work from PROCOMM.
> Usually I'm downloading from the UN*X system at work.
>
> Donald St. Denis

I am using PROCOMM 2.4.2 and have no problems working with C-Kermit
on my mail/news connection machine.  You do need to set the parity
on the UNIX Kermit to match PROCOMM.  C-Kermit defaults to parity none,
and you need to change this with "set parity" to match PROCOMM if
you are not using parity none on PROCOMM.

Joel Dunn, UNC-CH ADP, 440 W. Franklin, Chapel Hill NC 27514
{backbone}!mcnc!ecsvax!joeld      Bitnet: RJD@UNC

fff@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Fred Freeland) (03/06/87)

In article <2490004@hpsadla.HP>, dsd@hpsadla.HP (Donald St. Denis) writes:

> I'm using PROCOMM 2.4 on an IBM Compatible, MSDOS3.1, 640K, 20Meg HD,
> 4.77 Mhz.
>
> PROCOMM won't download files using KERMIT protocol.  I can download fine
> using the KERMIT software I've got, but it won't work from PROCOMM.
> Usually I'm downloading from the UN*X system at work.

I had exactly the same problem you have.  You must set your protocol, using the
ALT-P command to space parity, 7 data bits and 1 stop bit.  Of course, you must
also be at the proper baud rate.  One other thing to check is the default path
you have specified for download.  This can be checked or changed by using ALT-S
and then making selection 4 - General Setup.  If the specified directory does
not exist, I can assure you that you will have an inexplicable abort each time
you try to download.  Hope this helps.  I agonized over this one for quite a
while.

dsd@hpsadla.HP (Donald St. Denis) (03/07/87)

Thanks for the email everyone.

I took Martin Hall's suggestion and tried Even parity on my machine, and
now it works just fine.  Why?  Who knows,

Donald (it's all UN*X to me!) St. Denis

medin@cod.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <2490004@hpsadla.HP> dsd@hpsadla.HP (Donald St. Denis) writes:
>PROCOMM won't download files using KERMIT protocol.  I can download fine
>using the KERMIT software I've got, but it won't work from PROCOMM.
>Usually I'm downloading from the UN*X system at work.

Yes yes i have the same problem too, i was connected to a bbs fido. It appears
that procomm doesnt handle the 8 bit quoting correctly. Tho it may not all
be procomm's problem. Fido was 8 bits no parity so it shouldnt have been
8 bit quoting but it did anyway. Procomm wasnt smart enough to catch the
dumb fido (but remember dogs are a mans best friend) so the file was about
twice the size and of course unusable. Another problem i had with the fido
down load and kermit was long files. When the file got over ~35k then i got
some extra bytes. About that time i gave up on fido, kermit & procomm. Sigh!
Well not really on kermit.