[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Everex EGA Card Test Report

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/10/87)

I recently purchased an Everex "The Enhancer" EGA card.  This is the 3/4
length EGA card with parallel port.  Cost was $219 at Fry's Electronics,
for those of you in Silicon Valley.

PC Paint and Volkswriter Deluxe both successfully operated in 43-line mode
on an IBM Monochrome Display.  Installation instructions are AT LEAST as
good as a real genuine IBM EGA.  I purchased "The Enhancer" because I have
an antique PC (16K RAM chips on the motherboard) and needed a single
board that replaced my IBM Monochrome Display Adapter/Parallel Printer
card.  Unlike an IBM EGA, the composite output jacks are not present, so
you can only hook up to the 9-pin connector.  Also, the 4 position DIP
switch is located in a position on the card where it can only be changed
with the case open, unlike the IBM EGA DIP switch, which can be reached
without opening the case, although the time it takes sometimes argues for
going ahead and opening the case.

My PC is currently running 6.1MHz, with no problems.  A colleague of mine
here recently purchased the same card for his 10MHz Bentley AT, which he
runs under both PC-DOS and Microport System V UNIX.  His experiences have
also been that there were no speed or compatibility problems.  (This board
uses the Chips & Technology chipset).

Clayton E. Cramer

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <1449@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>I recently purchased an Everex "The Enhancer" EGA card.  This is the 3/4
>card.  Unlike an IBM EGA, the composite output jacks are not present, so
>you can ...

The "RCA" connectors on the IBM EGA are "feature connectors", and are inputs,
not outputs. You need additional hardware to get composite out of the IBM
EGA. These are used to get 132col, as well as other things.
--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen