[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Warm Reboot

rfpcs@mergvax.UUCP (03/05/87)

I have used the short assembly program to execute a warm reboot that was
posted to this group a while back. It's very nice, however my booting
procedure is rather long containing extended memory checks, loading in
drivers and some memory resident programs. My question is, is there a way
to "unload" memory resident drivers without going thru a complete warm
reboot???

				Thanx,
				Rich Filandro
				Allied Linotype
				Hauppauge,NY

jl42#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/08/87)

There is a set of programs that come in an archive called (I believe) TSR.ARC
(terminate and stay resident) which contain MARK.COM and RELEASE.COM. These
two invaluable little programs allow you to make a mark in memory that can be
released to - i.e. in your autoexec.bat you would have
MARK ALL
load utility set 1
MARK SET1
load utility set 2
MARK SET2

And then to let all of set 2 out of memory you would type RELEASE SET2. If
you typed RELEASE SET1 you would let go of both set1 and set2, etc....

If anyone can not find this archive and would like it, I can mail it to you.

-Jay Libove
-jl42@andrew.cmu.edu
-jl42@cmuccvma.bitnet

jl42#@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (03/08/87)

ReSent-Date: Sat,  7 Mar 87 19:38:43 est

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To: nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc@andrew.cmu.edu

tr@thumper.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <sUI=q3y00VsGYRY0eV2@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl42#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
> There is a set of programs that come in an archive called (I believe) TSR.ARC
> (terminate and stay resident) which contain MARK.COM and RELEASE.COM. These
> two invaluable little programs allow you to make a mark in memory that can be
> released to - i.e. in your autoexec.bat you would have
> MARK ALL
> load utility set 1
> MARK SET1
> load utility set 2
> MARK SET2
>
> And then to let all of set 2 out of memory you would type RELEASE SET2. If
> you typed RELEASE SET1 you would let go of both set1 and set2, etc....
>
> If anyone can not find this archive and would like it, I can mail it to you.
>
> -Jay Libove

I thought these programs were great when I got them.  I later found
that MARK crashed my machine in a few conditions.  Wow.  Of all memory
resident programs to crash your machine, who would expect it to be
the one that is supposed to take away the evils of memory residence?

Anyway, perhaps I don't have the latest version, which, I think, is
2.01.  If there is a later one, could you post it please?

Tom Reingold

INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com
--------
UUCP:
----		      watmath!clyde!bellcore\
                                ucbvax\       \
     lll-lcc\              ihnp4!mhuxt!ulysses!faline!flash!tr
      seismo!rutgers!mit-eddie!allegra/