[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Digital Research GEM questions

robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) (03/10/87)

I am using GEM version 1.2 from nov 1985. There may be a newer version
which is better.

1. What is the support like for GEM? Are there new products being made
   that run under GEM?

2. Is there a "better" WRITE that can handle fonts and such properly?
   I have WordhChart but this can only handle one page at a time.

3. How many fonts are available? I have Dutch and Swiss. Does anyone have
   specifications of how a font is defined? Are the font sizes fixed, or
   you choose your own sizes? I would like point 18.

4. There seems to be no direct way of transfering data (pictures, text)
   between GEM applications except by putting them in seperate files. If
   this is so then it seems a little clumsy. Is it so?

5. The number of screen drivers that can be handled is limited. Do more
   types exist, or is this better in a later version? I am using an
   Ericsson High Resolution screen that only matches the standard 640x200
   IBM colour screen option, although it can do much better!

6. Is there any way of getting GEM to put printer output in a file? I
   mean the actual data to the printer after it has been processed by the
   output handler.

7. I am using an Apple Laserwriter, but must transfer the output to
   another machine before it can be printed. Is there any way of telling
   the GEM driver not to check if the printer is ready and waiting? If
   not, does anyone know what it wants to receive from the printer before
   it sends the postscript file?

8. Are there more desktop accessories?

9. Is possible to move the GEM directories away from the top level
   directory on a disk? And can you tell GEM to use a RAM disk for
   temporary storage?

That's about all for the moment. If there is any interest I can pool
any answers and send them out later.

Thanks in advance

			Robert Virding  @ Ericsson Telecom, Stockholm
			UUCP: {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!erix!robert

rps@homxc.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <1320@erix.UUCP>, robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) writes:

> I am using GEM version 1.2 from nov 1985. There may be a newer version
> which is better.
	yes - the latest version of the GEM Desktop is 2.1 dated
	9/15/86.  The latest version of GEM Draw is GEM Draw Plus
	version 2.0 also dated (around) 9/86.

> 1. What is the support like for GEM? Are there new products being made
>    that run under GEM?
	Support is generally good, much better than Microsoft or
	Micrografix.  Not as good as PC Write.

	Some, according DR tech support.  They are working on more
	device drivers (printers mostly), they are putting a lot of
	effort into their concurrent system for the 386.  No new
	applications are planned though, mostly minor enhancements
	and device drivers.

> 2. Is there a "better" WRITE that can handle fonts and such properly?
>    I have WordhChart but this can only handle one page at a time.
	GEM Write is not going to be revised for a long time.  The
	tech support guy said that was the lowest on the priority
	scale.  No, they do not plan to give it more fonts (or
	different point sizes).  The guy seemed perplexed as to why
	I was hoping GEM Write would be more like MAC Write.

> 3. How many fonts are available? I have Dutch and Swiss. Does anyone have
>    specifications of how a font is defined? Are the font sizes fixed, or
>    you choose your own sizes? I would like point 18.
	A company called Specific Solutions (I can't find their phone
	number right now) makes 3 more fonts for GEM.  None are very
	interesting, not as useful as Dutch and Swiss.

> 4. There seems to be no direct way of transfering data (pictures, text)
>    between GEM applications except by putting them in seperate files. If
>    this is so then it seems a little clumsy. Is it so?
	Yep.

> 5. The number of screen drivers that can be handled is limited. Do more
>    types exist, or is this better in a later version? I am using an
>    Ericsson High Resolution screen that only matches the standard 640x200
>    IBM colour screen option, although it can do much better!
	The latest version of GEM Desktop supports:
		IBM CGA in 640X200 in 2 colors (a.k.a. monochrome)
		Compaq or other 100% PC compatible with graphics
		IBM EGA in 640X350 in monochome, 8 or 16 color
		IBM EGA in 640X200 in 8 or 16 colors
		IBM 3270 PC in 720X350 in 2 colors
		Hercules in 720X348
		AT&T monochrome 640X400
		AT&T DEB 640X400 in 16 colors
	So, if your monitor is compatible with any of these you are
	in luck.

> 6. Is there any way of getting GEM to put printer output in a file? I
>    mean the actual data to the printer after it has been processed by the
>    output handler.
	I do not know, but I would try installing the printer on a COM2
	port and then redirecting COM2 to a file.  There are also some
	PD programs that capture printer output and send it to a file.

> 7. I am using an Apple Laserwriter, but must transfer the output to
>    another machine before it can be printed. Is there any way of telling
>    the GEM driver not to check if the printer is ready and waiting? If
>    not, does anyone know what it wants to receive from the printer before
>    it sends the postscript file?
	As above.

> 8. Are there more desktop accessories?
	Now we have a general purpose print spooler, a calculator and
	a clock.

> 9. Is possible to move the GEM directories away from the top level
>    directory on a disk? And can you tell GEM to use a RAM disk for
>    temporary storage?
	For a RAM disk:
	Create a batch file that copies GEM from your harddisk to the
	ramdisk Reset the path to search the ramdisk only.  use the
	INSTALL DISKDRIVE option to access files on your harddisk.
	GEM runs much much faster this way.

> Thanks in advance
>
> 			Robert Virding  @ Ericsson Telecom, Stockholm
> 			UUCP: {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!erix!robert

Your welcome.

Russ Sharples
AT&T Bell Labs
homxc!rps