[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 10 Mhz Problems

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (03/12/87)

  Hello there,

     I purchased a XT clone recently that has a NEC-V20 cpu, and can be
  switched from 5Mhz to 10Mhz by pressing Control-Alt-Plus, unfortunatly
  however I have found that the machine "hangs" when it is in the 10Mhz
  mode for about 5-15 minutes. I complained to the people that sold it
  to me and they said that they had made an errror and that I could not
  have a CGA card (I have a RGB monitor) in a 10Mhz computer. According
  to them there are no CGA carss that can run at 10Mhz and they have
  suggested that when I am back in Toronto they will chnage my motherboard
  to make my computer a 8Mhz machine.

     I would really like the 10Mhz *and* a CGA card. Does this companies
  explaination for my problems should correct? If my CGA card is the
  problem, does anyone know of a CGA card that can run at 10Mhz?
  CGA card that can work at 10Mhz?
                                    Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dale Gass, Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S., Canada

UUCP:   {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!dalegass.UUCP
     				       or dalegass@dalcs.UUCP
        ...!dalcs!dalcsug!dalegass.UUCP  or dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP
CDN:    dalegass@cs.dal.cdn
CSNET:  dalegass%cs.dal.cdn@ubc.csnet
ARPA:   dalegass%cs.dal.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

todd@uhccux.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <2434@dalcs.UUCP> dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
>     I would really like the 10Mhz *and* a CGA card. Does this companies
>  explaination for my problems should correct? If my CGA card is the
>  problem, does anyone know of a CGA card that can run at 10Mhz?

Hmm...I don't know about CGA cards but if you would consider an EGA
card, the SigmaEGA works fine in a 10MHz 80286 machine I use.
It turns out that the RAM in some other EGA boards is simply too slow
to keep up with the 80286 running at 10MHz.  If you find that your
EGA display collapses when you turn the entire graphics screen on,
then your EGA card probably has the slow RAM problem..

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

zhahai@gaia.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <380@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>In article <2434@dalcs.UUCP> dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
>>     I would really like the 10Mhz *and* a CGA card. Does this companies
>>  explaination for my problems should correct? If my CGA card is the
>>  problem, does anyone know of a CGA card that can run at 10Mhz?
>
>Hmm...I don't know about CGA cards but if you would consider an EGA
>card, the SigmaEGA works fine in a 10MHz 80286 machine I use.
>It turns out that the RAM in some other EGA boards is simply too slow
>to keep up with the 80286 running at 10MHz.  If you find that your
>EGA display collapses when you turn the entire graphics screen on,
>then your EGA card probably has the slow RAM problem..

Even the IBM EGA seems to work with fast memory cycles (such as 8 MHz with
0 wait states, with is more difficult than 10 & 1 for memory).  This seems
to be because the memory is reasonably fast to support the video access,
and the bus interface is already set up to insert as many wait states as
needed (which it needs even for a straight PC, much less a fast AT).

Thus an EGA card should solve your problem.  If you really need CGA
compatibility, the built in emulation MAY also be fast enough.

I suspect that many of the EGA clones would also work (like the Sigma
mentioned by Dale), but see if you can get a chance to test them before
final acceptance.

(Of course, they may be misleading you, your problem could be that their
motherboard is flakey and no video board will solve things...).  ~z~

--
Zhahai Stewart
{hao | nbires}!gaia!zhahai

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (03/16/87)

I hate to say this, but if the Hercules CGA clone won't run 10MHz
(and I doubt that it will), you are in the market for a cheap EGA running
in CGA mode.

--
bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen