[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Info on Laser Printers.

gervers@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (M. Gervers) (02/24/87)

We are planning to buy a laser printer or two.  It must be able to do
text AND full page 300x300 /inch graphics.  We looked at the laserjet
and was disppointed by the memory size which limits raster data to 50+K

The laser printer must be able to work on an AT (preferrably thru rs232)

I would like to hear from people who have experience in laser printers.
Price would be very helpful (from Canadian users).

I will post responses to the net if other people are interested.

Michael Gervers
gervers@gpu.utcs
Deeds Project

jons@islenet.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <1987Feb23.212946.19875@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gervers@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (M. Gervers) writes:

>We are planning to buy a laser printer or two.  It must be able to do
>text AND full page 300x300 /inch graphics.  We looked at the laserjet
>and was disppointed by the memory size which limits raster data to 50+K
>
>The laser printer must be able to work on an AT (preferrably thru rs232)
>
>I would like to hear from people who have experience in laser printers.
>Price would be very helpful (from Canadian users).
>
>Michael Gervers

We sell the NCR laser for $1995US. It is just a bare bones laser (only includes
Diablo 6300 emulation). For graphics capability, you can add the Jlaser+ AT
(~$1000US w/ 2 megs) which is essentially a modified memory card that can be
used as graphic memory for the laser. Have used it with Dr. HaloDPE and
the Ventura Publisher (Xerox). Also, you will need a switching cable for the
laser (~$100).

By the way, the Jlaser+ AT will work with any Canon-based laser (check me if
I'm wrong), but you're looking as a little over $3000US.

Aloha,
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

bdale@winfree.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <1987Feb23.212946.19875@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> gervers@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (M. Gervers) writes:
>We are planning to buy a laser printer or two.  It must be able to do
>text AND full page 300x300 /inch graphics.  We looked at the laserjet
>and was disppointed by the memory size which limits raster data to 50+K

Call your HP rep again.  HP announced a new family of laser printers dubbed
"laserjet series 2" on the 2 March corporate price list.  I think you'll
find it just about perfect if you were almost happy with the lj+.
--

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA		phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,ncc,pitt,usafa,vixie}!winfree!bdale

blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) (03/06/87)

LaserJet Series II specs:

HP LaserJet Plus compatible
6 internal fonts
2 cartridge slots
correct-order output
512K memory (1/2 sheet 300dpi);expandable to 4Mb
output is noticeably "blacker" than that of earlier models
toner cartridge good for 4000 sheets
16 char. LCD display

price: $2495; 1Mb expansion $495.

also has an expansion slot for DDL hardware...

David Blevins
hplabs!hpccc!blevins

rotheroe@convexs.UUCP (03/11/87)

> also has an expansion slot for DDL hardware...

What is "DDL hardware"?   Thanks,
                                      Dave Rotheroe

blevins@hpccc.HP.COM (David Blevins) (03/16/87)

DDL (Document Description Language) is Imagen's page description language,
similar to PostScript.  It differs from the Laserjet's native PCL (printer
command language) in that it is designed to support advanced graphics,
paper handling, and font generation.

Steve Jobs called HP's support of DDL (rather than Postscript, used by
Apple) a "brain damaged" decision; I believe at that time he owned several
million dollars worth of Apple stock.  HP apparently selected DDL for
its added capabilities such as support of both bitmapped and algorithmic
fonts, image caching, graphic image macro-ing, and binary as well as ASCII
command control, etc.  For more information, see product brochures for
HP's "Laserject Publisher Kit."

Dave Blevins
hplabs!hpccc!blevins

Above opinions are my own and in no way reflect those of HP...