[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Redirecting screen output to disk

glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) (03/06/87)

Is there a way to direct anything that appears on the IBM PC screen to
a disk file.  	I'm looking for something analogous to 'script' in UNIX.

LIVE:   Ken A. Glidden, (617) 969-0050
ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!glidden@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
UUCP:	{harvard | ll-xn | mirror | axiom}!adelie!morgoth!glidden

celoni@navajo.UUCP (03/07/87)

Yes.  If you don't mind nothing on the screen, run another copy of
command.com and redirect its output, e.g., "command >file".
Otherwise, use Mark DiVecchio's (sdcsvax!wolf!markd) fine LPTX to
redirect printer output to a file, and use control-P to echo screen
output to the "printer".  +j

rick@beowulf.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <343@morgoth.UUCP> glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) writes:
>Is there a way to direct anything that appears on the IBM PC screen to
>a disk file.  	I'm looking for something analogous to 'script' in UNIX.
>
>LIVE:   Ken A. Glidden, (617) 969-0050
>ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!glidden@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
>UUCP:	{harvard | ll-xn | mirror | axiom}!adelie!morgoth!glidden

I've wrestled with this problem too.  The best solution I've
come across is LPT2DSK, a shareware (or PD?) program which does
a good job of trapping all printer output (including
print-screen) to a disk file.  In a nutshell, the program is run
from the DOS command line, starts a new version of COMMAND, and
henceforth all printer lines go to a file.  The file isn't
closed until you subsequently 'exit' back to the original
COMMAND shell;  you then find the output in a file with the name
LPT2DSK.x, where x matches the printer port (LPTx:).

I've had no problems with it.  It's available from The Source as
LPT2DSK.ARC.  The author doesn't request a contribution, but
neither does he mention if it's public domain.  Author is George
G. Bouche,  P.O. Box 65111,   Lubbock, TX  79464.

	Rick Randall    EECS Department
			University of California, San Diego

	decvax\ 	rick@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	ihnp4  >--->	sdcsvax  ---> rick
	ucbvax/		rick@sdcsvax.uucp

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (03/16/87)

> In article <343@morgoth.UUCP> glidden@morgoth.UUCP (Ken A. Glidden) writes:
> >Is there a way to direct anything that appears on the IBM PC screen to
> >a disk file.  	I'm looking for something analogous to 'script' in UNIX.

I have just bought a new program from MicroHelp that will do just what
you want. Unfortunately I have only had it 2 days and have just had
time to scan the manual. From what I  have read so far I can tell you
it will allow you to run a memory resident program that will capture
any screen ( text or graphics, not ega) to a separate file each time
you press the shift/PrtSc key[C.

The package includes separate programs for editing screen files
and for generating assembler/basic/turbo pascal/dbase files which
can be used in other programs.  It also will let you create slide show
and demo programs of screens collected.

Pretty neat huh ?

Mike Gingell    ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

P.S. Microhelp advertizes in DDJ, and other fine computer mags and
I have no affiliation with them apart from owning a couple of their
I nearly forgot - the prog is called Screen Machine and costs $79.95
programs.

beck@husc4.HARVARD.EDU ( beck) (03/17/87)

For capturing screen output to a disk, FANSI-CONSOLE does a great
job. I have a buffer that can save up to 1000 lines which I can
then dump to a file with a program supplied by F-C. The cost of
F-C is $75 which is pretty good when you realize that capturing
screen output is merely a small part of what it can do for you.

The drawback of F-C is the 40K of extra RAM it requires, and some
incompatibility with some software.

I am merely a happy user of F-C, and have no connection with Hersy
Microcomputing. They are in Ann Arbor, Mi., don't have the address.

Best of luck.

Nathaniel Beck
Dept. of Govt.
Harvard U.