[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More on FAT problems on single drive AT clone

chassin@rpics.RPI.EDU (Dave Chassin) (03/17/87)

In an article posted last week
I pointed out that I had encountered what appeared to be a bug
in DOS 3.1 when running on a AT clone. I was a little :-) vague
about what actually took place.

I'll try to be a little more specific. What he did was this:
(this system has one floppy and one hard drive)
C>a:
A>copy a:*.ext b:
(hum, buzz, whirr...)
insert disk in drive B
and press enter: (he does so)
FILE1.EXT
FILE2.EXT
FILE3.EXT
      3 file(s) copied
B>a:
insert disk in drive A
and press enter: (he does so again)
A>dir
listing to disk that we copied TO!!!
A>b:
insert disk in drive B
and press enter: (ditto)
B>dir
listing to disk that we copied FROM!!!
(at this point I'm weirded out, so I run for NORTON UTILITIES)
B>norton (this is found via PATH on drive C)
a run through indicates that the data on the disk is what is
supposed to be there but the the FAT belongs to the disk that was
in A. ("oh boy is this weird", I mutter)
I exit NORTON...
B>a:
insert disk in drive A
and press enter: (once more)
A>norton
same thing but reversed (FAT belong to other disk)

conclusion: both disks are useless... great!!!
and: don't use drive B unless you SUBSTituted to some other directory.

Anyway I'd like to know how to block this drive switching premanently,
using somekind on DOS patch or how to fix the drive if it is some fault.

Dave,

_____________________

David P. Chassin
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute	              |
School of Architecture			            __+__
Troy, NY   12181			           /  _  \
USA						   | | | |
					  /=======/   =   \=======\
(518) 266-6461				  |   _   |   _   |   _   |
					  |  | |  |  | |  |  | |  |
chassin@csv.rpi.edu			  |   =   |  | |  |   =   |

PS: I just got a response saying that it might be a misconnected wire that
somehow disables the detector in the drive. I have yet to run DIAGNOSTICS
to see if that is the case. For now let's assume it isn't, because I have
a feeling it isn't that (don't ask why, but I've always trusted my feelings).

tr@thumper.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <1000@rpics.RPI.EDU>, chassin@rpics.RPI.EDU (Dave Chassin) writes:
> In an article posted last week
> I pointed out that I had encountered what appeared to be a bug
> in DOS 3.1 when running on a AT clone. I was a little :-) vague
> about what actually took place.
>
> I'll try to be a little more specific. What he did was this:
> (this system has one floppy and one hard drive)
> C>a:
> A>copy a:*.ext b:
> (hum, buzz, whirr...)
> insert disk in drive B
> and press enter: (he does so)
> FILE1.EXT
> FILE2.EXT
> FILE3.EXT
>       3 file(s) copied
> [...]
> B>norton (this is found via PATH on drive C)
> a run through indicates that the data on the disk is what is
> supposed to be there but the the FAT belongs to the disk that was
> in A. ("oh boy is this weird", I mutter)
> [...]
> same thing but reversed (FAT belong to other disk)
>
> conclusion: both disks are useless... great!!!
> [...]
>
> Anyway I'd like to know how to block this drive switching premanently,
> using somekind on DOS patch or how to fix the drive if it is some fault.
>
> David P. Chassin

You need "drive switching" when you have only one floppy.  If you
don't like it, either get another drive or copy to hard disk and then
from hard to the other floppy.

It sounds like you did not follow the prompts properly.  When "drive
switching", you have two logical drives.  You must mentally assign the
destination disk to A and the source disk to B or the other way
around.  Then follow the prompts carefully.  It sounds like you put in
the source disk when the computer expected to see the destination
disk.  That would explian why it wrote a bad FAT.

# This paragraph is supplied to satisfy the news poster.
# Lines submitted must exceed lines replied-to.  So now
# I am adding text.  Efficient, huh?

# This paragraph is supplied to satisfy the news poster.
# Lines submitted must exceed lines replied-to.  So now
# I am adding text.  Efficient, huh?

Tom Reingold

INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com
--------
UUCP:
----		      watmath!clyde!bellcore\
                                ucbvax\       \
     lll-lcc\              ihnp4!mhuxt!ulysses!faline!flash!tr
      seismo!rutgers!mit-eddie!allegra/

--
Tom Reingold
Internet: tr@bellcore.com