[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ALT key with nums

philip@amdcad.UUCP (Philip Freidin) (03/16/87)

I have just discovered the capability of entering special codes above
127 (decimal) by holding down the alt key, and entering the decimal value
in the range 000 to 255 on the numeric key pad. This doesn't look like a
bug, so it must be a feature :-) .   Can someone please direct me to
documentation that details the names (shapes) of all the IBM standard
characters for codes 128 thru 255.

How do I get my EPSON LQ1500 to print them. (do I need to download the font
    or can I be real sneaky and get the font out of the BIOS or EGA roms
    and somehow make them match one of the formats that the LQ1500
    understands)

please post responses, and I will sumarise by email to /dev/null

thanks in advance,             Philip Freidin

--
Philip Freidin @ AMD SUNYVALE on {favorite path!amdcad!philip)
Section Manager of Product Planning for Microprogrammable Processors

CHRIS@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Christopher Dietrich) (03/17/87)

In article <15183@amdcad.UUCP>, philip@amdcad.UUCP (Philip Freidin) writes:

>bug, so it must be a feature :-) .   Can someone please direct me to
>documentation that details the names (shapes) of all the IBM standard
>characters for codes 128 thru 255.

Section 7 of my IBM Technical Reference (for the XT) has a character
set quick reference.

Chris Dietrich, Systems Programmer
Center for Information Technology
Princeton University
CHRIS@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU <BITNET>

geller@eli.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <15183@amdcad.UUCP>, philip@amdcad.UUCP (Philip Freidin) writes:
> I have just discovered the capability of entering special codes above
> 127 (decimal) by holding down the alt key, and entering the decimal value
> in the range 000 to 255 on the numeric key pad. This doesn't look like a
> bug, so it must be a feature :-) .   Can someone please direct me to
> documentation that details the names (shapes) of all the IBM standard
> characters for codes 128 thru 255.

Two definitive sources:

	IBM PC Tech Reference Manual part number 6025005
		Appendix C

	IBM PC-DOS Manual (part number not on hand)

Feature is clearly documented.

nortond@well.UUCP (Daniel A. Norton) (03/17/87)

In article <15183@amdcad.UUCP>, philip@amdcad.UUCP (Philip Freidin) writes:

>bug, so it must be a feature :-) .   Can someone please direct me to
>documentation that details the names (shapes) of all the IBM standard
>characters for codes 128 thru 255.

If you intend on using this method for entering graphics, I would
like to suggest an alternative.  CTRLALT is a program which you install
in memory and which provides an easier interface.  You can map the
numpad to several different sets of graphics patterns/greek characters.
You can enter an upper-left corner character by pressing ALT-Num7.  A
lower-right corner would be entered by pressing ALT-Num3.

CTRLALT also has some other very handy features which make obtaining it
worthwhile.
--
Daniel A. Norton    ...!lll-lcc!{lll-crg,ptsfa}!well!nortond

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/18/87)

> I have just discovered the capability of entering special codes above
> 127 (decimal) by holding down the alt key, and entering the decimal value
> in the range 000 to 255 on the numeric key pad. This doesn't look like a
> bug, so it must be a feature :-) .   Can someone please direct me to
> documentation that details the names (shapes) of all the IBM standard
> characters for codes 128 thru 255.

The standard characters are documented in the same place that the ALT <num>
capability is documented: the BASIC manual.  (That's the only reason I
keep one at my desk.)

> How do I get my EPSON LQ1500 to print them. (do I need to download the font
>     or can I be real sneaky and get the font out of the BIOS or EGA roms
>     and somehow make them match one of the formats that the LQ1500
>     understands)
>
> thanks in advance,             Philip Freidin

Sorry.  There's no pixel image of these characters readily accessible.
There is an expansion cartridge for the Epson LQ800/LQ1000 printers that
can print the entire IBM character set, but I'm not sure if it is available
for the LQ1500.

Clayton E. Cramer

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (03/18/87)

> In article <15183@amdcad.UUCP>, philip@amdcad.UUCP (Philip Freidin) writes:
> > I have just discovered the capability of entering special codes above
> > 127 (decimal) by holding down the alt key, and entering the decimal value
> > in the range 000 to 255 on the numeric key pad. This doesn't look like a
> > bug, so it must be a feature :-) .   Can someone please direct me to
> > documentation that details the names (shapes) of all the IBM standard
> > characters for codes 128 thru 255.

Even better and less cryptic than IBM manuals are Microsoft's two
books, both by Van Wolverton, "Running MS-DOS" and "Supercharging
MS-DOS".  Latter contains extensive info on ALT key character entry
as well as other types of data entry (p. 10), as well as multiple
character sets in the appendices.  These are not manuals but well-
written (I think) texts.

(Disclaimer: No connection with Microsoft)

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3563
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP