[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Standard - why?

geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) (03/18/87)

In article <4373@utcsri.UUCP>, greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
> According to an article "Will IBM's PC soon be an IEEE standard?" in
> the Feb 1987 issue of "The Institute", two IEEE working groups are
> attempting to develop standards for the PC system bus, and the BIOS.

Isn't it already evident that a standard exists and that the enormous
amount of technical information already available fulfils the requirement
for documenting the standard. Isn't is also obvious that if there
were no quasi-formal standard in place then all the various cards that anyone
can buy wouldn't work in any ol' PC - which they do!
Don't these techie types at IEEE have something better to do and why
make a standard (formal) out of something that isn't fit to be a
standard by which other (future) products will be based. Also - since
IBM is likely to abandon this bus architecture (April 2 *rumor*) this
attempt at creating more documentation about a standard seems silly.

David Geller
Electric Logic, Inc.
Washington, D.C.

Yes - these are my opinions AND those of my employer.

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (03/19/87)

In article <171@eli.UUCP> geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) writes:
>In article <4373@utcsri.UUCP>, greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>> According to an article "Will IBM's PC soon be an IEEE standard?"...
>
>Don't these techie types at IEEE have something better to do...

Standards are like stop signs in Boston - they let you know who to blame
when something goes wrong.

keith