[comp.sys.ibm.pc] directory size

benno@eurifb.UUCP (Ben Noordzij) (03/19/87)

Does anyone know how many entries are allowed in a (sub)directory ??
--
uucp:	mcvax!eurifb!benno	| Ben J. Noordzij
earn:	benno@hroeur1		| EUR/bedrijfskunde, Burg.Oudlaan 50,

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (03/20/87)

The number of entries allowed in the root directory is limited. It is variable
across different types of disks; its value is given by the number of bytes
in a disk allocation unit, divided by 32 (the size of a directory entry).

The number of entries allowed in a subdirectory is limited only by disk space;
subdirectories may span more than one allocation unit.
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

drake@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Frank Drake) (03/20/87)

In article <202@eurifb.UUCP> benno@eurifb.UUCP (Ben Noordzij) writes:
>Does anyone know how many entries are allowed in a (sub)directory ??
>--
Off hand, I believe the root directory can have up to 64 entries
(just like under DOS 1.0) and subdirectories can have unlimitted
subdirectories (they chain them together).

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (03/20/87)

In article <202@eurifb.UUCP> benno@eurifb.UUCP (Ben Noordzij) writes:
<Does anyone know how many entries are allowed in a (sub)directory ??

Ya.  As many as you have disk space for.

A sub-directory is like a file, it can keep expanding until you run
out of disk space.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown	(How I hate 4 line .sigs!)

gardner@kodak.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <202@eurifb.UUCP> benno@eurifb.UUCP (Ben Noordzij) writes:
>Does anyone know how many entries are allowed in a (sub)directory ??
>--

We just went thru this here and discovered the following:

The Root Directory on a 360k floppy is limited to 112 entries --
		that includes subdirectories, files, vol. label
		if I read the manual right (and Norton's Programmers
		guide)  the number of files in a subdirectory is
		limited by disk space only.

I'm NOT sure that the same root directory limitation applies to
high-density disks or hard disks, but I do believe that subdirectories
are dynamic, and limited only by the disk space.

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

             Dick Gardner
             Eastman Kodak Co.
             Rochester, New York  14650
             (716) 477-1002
       UUCP: seismo!rochester!kodak!gardner

To err is human -- to really screw it up
		   you need a computer!
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (03/20/87)

There is no limit on the size of a DOS subdirectory.  Of course the
larger the directory the slower accesses will be due to searching time.

There IS a limit on the root directory, that is fixed at format time and
is dependent on cluster size and size of the DOS partition.
--
Timothy Lange / PC Learning Resource Center
Purdue University Computing Center / West Lafayette, IN  47907

jsm@vax1.UUCP (03/21/87)

In article <1591@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <202@eurifb.UUCP> benno@eurifb.UUCP (Ben Noordzij) writes:
><Does anyone know how many entries are allowed in a (sub)directory ??
>
>Ya.  As many as you have disk space for.
>
>A sub-directory is like a file, it can keep expanding until you run
>out of disk space.
>--
Be careful though ... bugs have been reported in cases when a subdirectory
contained over 255 files.

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (03/22/87)

In article <202@eurifb.UUCP> benno@eurifb.UUCP (Ben Noordzij) writes:
>Does anyone know how many entries are allowed in a (sub)directory ??

In the root directory, the maximum depends on the size of the disk.  I
can't remember exactly how it's determined, but it's usually plenty of
entries for the disk size.  Subdirectories are not supposed to have a
maximum number of entries.  I suspect that they do have a maximum, but
it's probably a maximum related to the DOS maximum file size, ie 32mb.
This would be a large number of files, so for all practical purposes,
it's unlimited.

          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"

erniej@mmintl.UUCP (03/23/87)

There was a question here about the number of entries in a DOS directory.
The max allowed is 128 entries in the root, but the subdir's can be
unlimited.