[comp.sys.ibm.pc] opinions on DOS enhancers?

flowers@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/26/87)

Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, about the DOS enhancement
programs below, or know of any other similar programs?

	 - Software Carousel (SoftLogic) -- keeps several programs in core
	 - Double Dos (SoftLogic) -- lets you run one task in
	 	 background and one in foreground, works with Software
		 Carousel
	 - Doctor Dos (no source on package) -- claims to have
	 	 identified parts of DOS which are inefficient and provide
		 speedier versions, "makes a PC run like an AT".

Margot Flowers
Flowers@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU [or Flowers@UCLA-CS for old host tables]
...!{ucbvax|ihnp4}!ucla-cs!flowers (uucp)

harryb@slovax.UUCP (02/28/87)

in article <4684@shemp.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU>, flowers@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU says:

> Does anyone have any opinions, good or bad, about the DOS enhancement
> programs below, or know of any other similar programs?
> 	 - Double Dos (SoftLogic) -- lets you run one task in
> 	 	 background and one in foreground, works with Software
> 		 Carousel
> Margot Flowers

I spent about four hours testing this for my company about a year ago.
I gave an informal oral report to our software department, and didn't
keep my notes because I didn't intend to ever use the thing.

The gist of my report was, "Don't touch it with a ten foot pole."

Some problems I had with it seemed to stem from their installation and
copy protection scheme, which tinkers with YOUR hard disk directory
information, said tinkering can only be undone using THEIR software,
and then not completely.  They place two hidden files in obscure, but
normally used, locations on your hard disk, and write the directory
track information in their special way.  Among other things, good-bye
easy backups.  When I un-installed it, the uninstall process left
several hidden files littering up my disk and eliminated access to
several blocks until I reformatted the hard disk.

Furthermore, I tested concurrent performance by performing what was
normally a one minute print job concurrently with what was normally
about a one minute compile.  Performing concurrently, they both took
EIGHT minutes to complete, an increase in processing time by a factor
of four.  It did function as a print spooler, if the secondary concurrent
activity was not cpu intensive, such as using an editor and typing slowly.

Another negative factor was that chkdsk would bomb and irretrieveably
hang the machine when it was performed in the secondary DOS mode.

Overpriced, under performance, buggy, and utilizes a copy protection
scheme that can be hazardous to your sanity and data.  Avoid.

Harry E. Barnett      {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!harryb

Brittanius (shocked):  Caesar, this is not proper.
Theodotus (outraged):  How?
Caesar (recovering his self possession):  Pardon him, Theodotus:  He is
a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and islands are
the laws of nature.

		--Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II, George Bernard Shaw

bentrup@uiucdcsp.UUCP (03/11/87)

/* 5:48 pm  Feb 27, 1987 by harryb@slovax.UUCP in uiucdcsp:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
> 	 - Double Dos (SoftLogic) -- lets you run one task in
> 	 	 background and one in foreground, works with Software Carousel
>[ In his posting, Harry reported several problems with Double Dos,
>  specifically a copy protection scheme which tinkered with the hard disk and
>  poor concurrent performance. ]

Assuming the was a recent version of Double Dos, I'm convinced it's not for
me.  However I still have a need for Multitasking (and don't want to wait
for DOS 5.0).  I've tried Wendin's toolbox with little/no success.  So does
anyone have a suggestion about obtaining multitasking under DOS?  (Hence ruling
out XENIX/UNIX/etcIX).  I've seen an add for QNX by Quantum Software in
Ottawa, Canada.  Anybody have any experience with it?  What I'm looking for
is multitasking software that doesn't require MEGA-work on my part to make
it work with my applications.

Thanks for any information.

john

John Bentrup
Department of Computer Science

        arpa		bentrup@a.cs.uiuc.edu   bentrup@uiuc.ARPA
        csnet		bentrup%uiuc@csnet-relay
        usenet		{pur-ee,convex,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!bentrup

ittfb@dcatla.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <75800028@uiucdcsp> bentrup@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>out XENIX/UNIX/etcIX).  I've seen an add for QNX by Quantum Software in
>Ottawa, Canada.  Anybody have any experience with it?  What I'm looking for

I've used QNX for about 4 years now.  It's a pretty neat system in it's own
right, but it's not a multitasking MS-DOS.  It *will* run MS-DOS as a QNX
task, in background or foreground, but only one MS-DOS task per machine is
allowed (not surprising given the memory requirements of most DOS applica-
tions).  Even doing this requires an extra-cost piece of software, QDOS2.
If you want a small, fast, versatile multitasking environment on your PC
(QNX has shared libraries, will run on a single floppy PC with 128k) QNX
is a good bet, as long as you're not interested in compatability with MS-
DOS or even Un*x.  It'll read/write MS-DOS disks, but it ain't MS-DOS.
Write me if you want more information or have specific questions.

Tom Blakely
(404)442-4866
{akgua,gatech}!dcatla!ittfb
---->Standard disclaimer, etc.