[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Laptop/Portable with EGA or Hercules Display?

david@uhccux.UUCP (03/15/87)

Does anyone know of a PC-compatible portable or laptop with internal
display that allows EGA compatibility.  Color can be mapped to gray
(or other) scales but ideally, it would also have a port for attachment
of a real EGA monitor.  Second choice would be Hercules compatibility.

I'll post a summary back to this newsgroup.

Thanks, David

--
David Lassner, University of Hawaii Computing Center, 808/948-7351
	UUCP:	  {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!david

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) (03/16/87)

In article <381@uhccux.UUCP>, david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:
> Does anyone know of a PC-compatible portable or laptop with internal
> display that allows EGA compatibility.  Color can be mapped to gray
> (or other) scales but ideally, it would also have a port for attachment
> of a real EGA monitor.  Second choice would be Hercules compatibility.

     I was lucky enough to play around with the Toshiba 3100 laptop a few
weeks ago.  This is an AT-compatible box with an internal 10MB hard
disk and gas plasma display that works in EGA mode.  I'm not sure
about the clock speed; probably around 8 MHz.  The only drawback is the
high price.  The local retail store here wanted in excess of $4K.
   Evan Bauman
   Dep't of Chemical Engineering
   University of Notre Dame
   ..iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!evan
   gkn3m2@irishmvs (bitnet)

bam@elrond.UUCP (Bruce A. Mallett) (03/18/87)

In article <104@ndcheg.UUCP>, evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
> In article <381@uhccux.UUCP>, david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:
> > Does anyone know of a PC-compatible portable or laptop with internal
> > display that allows EGA compatibility.
>      I was lucky enough to play around with the Toshiba 3100 laptop a few
> weeks ago.  This is an AT-compatible box with an internal 10MB hard
> disk and gas plasma display that works in EGA mode.
>    Evan Bauman

	I did not believe that the 3100 was EGA compatible, since they
advertize a display of 640 X 400 and do not mention EGA mode.  Anyone
else have any experience with this machine?

						BAM!!

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (03/18/87)

In article <104@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
>     I was lucky enough to play around with the Toshiba 3100 laptop a few
>weeks ago.  This is an AT-compatible box with an internal 10MB hard
>disk and gas plasma display that works in EGA mode.

I've never seen a T-3100 that has an EGA mode.  Is this some undocumented
feature?  I've tested a few T-3100s over the last few months and all
of them only seemed to have a CGA mode.

>high price.  The local retail store here wanted in excess of $4K.

Word is that the street price of the T-3100 is under $3K is some places.
...todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

henderso@utcsri.UUCP (Mark C. Henderson) (03/19/87)

In article <697@elrond.UUCP> bam@elrond.UUCP (Bruce A. Mallett) writes:
>In article <104@ndcheg.UUCP>, evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
>> In article <381@uhccux.UUCP>, david@uhccux.UUCP (David Lassner) writes:
>> > Does anyone know of a PC-compatible portable or laptop with internal
>> > display that allows EGA compatibility.
>>      I was lucky enough to play around with the Toshiba 3100 laptop a few
>> weeks ago.  This is an AT-compatible box with an internal 10MB hard
>> disk and gas plasma display that works in EGA mode.
>>    Evan Bauman
>
>	I did not believe that the 3100 was EGA compatible, since they
>advertize a display of 640 X 400 and do not mention EGA mode.  Anyone
>else have any experience with this machine?
>
>						BAM!!

I used a T-3100 for about a month. It does not have an EGA compatible mode.
Also no Hercules compatible mode. The system would have been more useful if
Toshiba had included compatibility with at least one of these standards.

--

Mark Henderson
Dept. of Mathematics

CSNet:	henderso@csri.toronto.edu
ARPA:	henderso%csri.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
EAN:	henderso@csri.toronto.cdn
UUCP:	{allegra,cornell,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4,sask,utzoo}!utcsri!henderso
 {watmath,ubc-vision,calgary,dalcs,garfield,musocs}!utai!utcsri!henderso
BITNET:	henderso@csri.utoronto

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (03/23/87)

In article <104@ndcheg.UUCP>, evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:

>      I was lucky enough to play around with the Toshiba 3100 laptop a few
> weeks ago.  This is an AT-compatible box with an internal 10MB hard
> disk and gas plasma display that works in EGA mode.  I'm not sure
> about the clock speed; probably around 8 MHz.  The only drawback is the
> high price.  The local retail store here wanted in excess of $4K.

We bought one via mail order, including an external 5-1/4" drive, for
$3100.  We had bids all the way to $4500, and picked the lowest.  I guess
it depends on how much the middleman takes as his share ...

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

pre1@sphinx.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <383@uhccux.UUCP> todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) writes:
>In article <104@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP (Evan Bauman) writes:
>>     I was lucky enough to play around with the Toshiba 3100 laptop a few
>>weeks ago.  This is an AT-compatible box with an internal 10MB hard
>>disk and gas plasma display that works in EGA mode.
>
>I've never seen a T-3100 that has an EGA mode.  Is this some undocumented
>feature?  I've tested a few T-3100s over the last few months and all
>of them only seemed to have a CGA mode.

The Toshiba 3100 that I was playing with a while back didn't have EGA either.

From what my boss heard at a seminar sponsored by Kaypro, however, they are
going to release a new laptop to follow the Kaypro 2000.  Instead of calling it
the Kaypro 3000 (the logical choice that has been discussed on Compuserve),
they are going to call it the Robie II (after a poor seller they had; no
reflection on the projected sales of the Robie II, rather a tribute to the
president's wife).  Anyway, It will have an EGA screen.
The following is CONJECTURE:  It may also be a
286 machine, but I can't swear to that.  I expect it to have either a backlit
plasma or supertwist screen (they want to get a readable screen to follow up
the Kaypro 2000, which didn't have one).
Anyways, it'll be worth a look.  Kaypro tends to give good value and reliable
products.
I want it known that I have a little bias here (one of the firms I work for
sells Kaypros), but I don't work for Kaypro themselves.  Much of this info
came originally from the Kaypro Forum on Compuserve.

--
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP