[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Flippy Floppys for Flippin PC's

godawski@usceast.UUCP (03/25/87)

Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?  I have cut a precision (as precision
as a rasor blade can get) notch on the opposite side of the other wr. pro.
notch, and when I put the disk in upside down to format a:/1, I get
a format failure on drive A:.  When I format a: (with the disk the "proper"
way, I have no problems--I get 360K free with NO bad sectors).

Does my problem have to do with the little hole by the hub hole, or lack
thereof on the side in question?

If you are wondering WHY somebody would want to do something like this, our
DEC Rainbows read IBM ssdd floppys, and when I bring stuff to school, I
could theoretically have stuff on each side of the disks saving the number
of disks that I have to tie up as ssdd.

Please post to net or reply to me directly.  I'm sure I'm not the only one
out there wondering why we can't do this.

Thank you.

Mike Godawski    {ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!akgua!usceast!godawski
1907A Wheat Street
Columbia SC 29205

{line eater, eat this! [-}

tr@thumper.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <2354@usceast.UUCP>, godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski) writes:
> Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
> floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?  I have cut a precision (as precision
> as a rasor blade can get) notch on the opposite side of the other wr. pro.
> notch, and when I put the disk in upside down to format a:/1, I get
> a format failure on drive A:.  When I format a: (with the disk the "proper"
> way, I have no problems--I get 360K free with NO bad sectors).
>
> Does my problem have to do with the little hole by the hub hole, or lack
> thereof on the side in question?
>
> [...]
>
> Mike Godawski    {ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!akgua!usceast!godawski

Yes, you need the hole in the other side.  This will make it work.  I
think you need the hole on both faces of the jacket too.

But you shouldn't do this.  I understand that there is a fabric on the
inside of the jacket that serves as a brush.  It cleans the disk as
the disk rotates.  The fibers of the fabric are pointed in one
direction, as on a lint brush you use for clothes.  You could ruin
your disk by spinning it the wrong way.

When you ruin your disk, you lose your data.  Which is more valuable?
Have you ever heard the expression "penny wise, pound foolish"?

Tom Reingold

INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com
--------
UUCP:
----		      watmath!clyde!bellcore\
                                ucbvax\       \
     lll-lcc\              ihnp4!mhuxt!ulysses!faline!flash!tr
      seismo!rutgers!mit-eddie!allegra/
--
Tom Reingold
Internet: tr@bellcore.com

skhurana@watnot.UUCP (03/25/87)

In article <2354@usceast.UUCP> godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike godawski) writes:
>Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
>floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?  .....
>
>Does my problem have to do with the little hole by the hub hole, or lack
>thereof on the side in question?

That is the reason why you cannot use the other side, you need an
index hole on the other side of the hub of the diskette.  This is
generally used by the disk controller to find track zero on the disk so
it can read the directory.  If you really wanted to  use the other side
you could CAREFULLY make another little hole with a hole puncher
perhaps (although a U shaped notch would be easier to make with a
sharp  pair of sissors) on both faces of the disk.  I wouldn't
recommend it as you might ruin the disk.

>Mike Godawski    {ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!akgua!usceast!godawski

-Sanjiv

sanity:	live to rn...rn to live
UUCP  : {allegra,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!watnot!skhurana
CSNET : skhurana%watnot@waterloo.CSNET
ARPA  : skhurana%watnot%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (03/26/87)

You have to have a round index hole opposite the existing one.  The easiest
way to make this is with a one hole punch (the plier type).  You won't wreck
the disk surface, because if you reach in far enough to punch the hole, the
tool will not reach as far as the recording area.  DO NOT punch through the
entire disk, just through the jacket on each side.  The best way to find out
where to put the hole is to use an old floppy jacket as a template.

WARNING:  Flippy disks are not recommended.  When the disk spins one way,
all the dust and dirt gets pushed into the lined "downspin" of it.  When you
flip it, all the dust comes out of the liner, visits your disk drive head
briefly (maybe leaving a few canyons) and goes into the liner on the other
side.  This is not good for your disk drives.

tj@mks.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <2354@usceast.UUCP>, godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski) writes:
> Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
> floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?  I have cut a precision (as precision
> as a rasor blade can get) notch on the opposite side of the other wr. pro.
> notch, and when I put the disk in upside down to format a:/1, I get
> a format failure on drive A:.  When I format a: (with the disk the "proper"
> way, I have no problems--I get 360K free with NO bad sectors).

 -------__-------------------------
 |                                |
 |                                |
 |                                |
 |                 ( )            |
 |              -----             |
 |            /       \   _______ |
 |           {         } (       )|
 |            \       /   ~~~~~~~ |
 |              -----             |
 -------  -------------------------
--
     ll  // // ,~/~~\'   T. J. Thompson {decvax,ihnp4,seismo}!watmath!mks!tj
    /ll/// //l' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (03/26/87)

> Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
> floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?
>
> Mike Godawski    {ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!akgua!usceast!godawski

The answer is in the disk pads.  These are the white sheets between
the floppy disk and its outside envelope.  The disk pads are designed
to pick up and hold onto loose oxide that flakes off the disk.  They
only work in one direction.  If you reverse the rotation, you'll
be knocking the loose crud out of the disk pads and back onto the
disk.  The result is that you can't reliably read or write the disk
because of all the crud getting between the disk and the head.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

john@xanth.UUCP (03/26/87)

[I'm adding comp.sys.misc to the Newsgroups for this article, since
 this should be of general interest.  (Not high interest, just general
 interest... :-) )]

In article <2354@usceast.UUCP>, godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski) writes:
> Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
> floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?  I have cut a precision (as precision
> as a rasor blade can get) notch on the opposite side of the other wr. pro.
> notch, and when I put the disk in upside down to format a:/1, I get
> a format failure on drive A:.
> Does my problem have to do with the little hole by the hub hole, or lack
> thereof on the side in question?

Indeed it does.  Here's what I used to do (on a TRS-80 Model I - 100K
per disk side!):

- Take a thin sheet of paper and trace out a floppy disk, including the
write protect notch, the little index hole (next to the hub hole), and
the hub hole.

- Take a sheet of moderately steady light cardboard or heavy paper and
trace the lines you've drawn on the thin sheet into it (may involve a
very sharp pencil or the tip of an x-acto knife).  Discard the thin
sheet.  Cut out the simple square of the outer edge of the disk.

- Using a standard hole punch (you don't need to be quite that precise
with the write-protect notch), make a semi-circular or larger punch
that inscribes the rectangle of the original write-protect notch.  Be
sure not to go much farther towards the interior of the diskette, or
you will punch through your diskette media when you get to the later
steps!

- Cut out, roughly if necessary, the center hub hole.

- Taking advantage of this hole, use your hole punch to punch the
round index hole.

You now have a diskette template that you can use to make your
diskettes flippy.

For each diskette:

- Line up the template appropriately and punch out the write-protect
semi-circle.  Also, in pencil, fill in the circle of the index hole
through the hole in the template.  (Filling it in instead of just
tracing the circle makes it much easier to see.)  Do the same with the
index hole on the other surface of the diskette jacket.

- VERY CAREFULLY insert your hole punch at the center hub, such that
the "lower lip" is between the jacket and the diskette media.  Punch
out the index hole on that side.  Do the same on the other side.  BE
SURE TO COLLECT THE "JACKET HOLE" THAT IS LEFT OVER.  (If you have a
nice punch it'll do this for you.)  Don't insert the "lip" any farther
than necessary, or you may scratch the data-carrying part of the
media.

That's all there is to it.  I've done it on over 50 diskettes and have
never had a problem due to this procedure.  Maybe one out of 20 will
be unusable on the "back" side, but that was with SSSD diskettes.  If
you actually buy diskettes rated as double-sided, you'll do much
better....

--
John Owens		Old Dominion University - Norfolk, Virginia, USA
john@ODU.EDU		old arpa: john%odu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

zhahai@gaia.UUCP (03/26/87)

Yes, your problem in trying to flip a DSDD floppy over to use as 2 SSDD
floppies probably is the index hole (the little hole near the center hub),
since you have already cut a new write protect notch.  Cutting another
index hole might work if you can do it without damaging the media or jacket.
Of course, flipping diskettes has been criticised on the grounds that dirt
tends to be picked up by the liner, and that spinning the disk backwards will
redeposit such back on the disk surface - I don't know if this is really
significant or another new wives tale.  In any case, floppies can be had
pretty cheaply - why not just get an extra box for use in transferring
between the DSDD & SSDD systems and be safe?     ~z~

--
Zhahai Stewart
{hao | nbires}!gaia!zhahai

boykin@custom.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <2354@usceast.UUCP>, godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski) writes:
> Anybody know why I can not make flippy floppys (use a dsdd disk as 2 ssdd
> floppy disks) on my IBM-PC compatible?  I have cut a precision (as precision
> as a rasor blade can get) notch on the opposite side of the other wr. pro.
> notch, and when I put the disk in upside down to format a:/1, I get
> a format failure on drive A:.

To make 'flippy' disk you not only need to cut the write protect notch,
but to cut another index hole.  Without the hole you'll get a 'drive not
ready' error.

If you're going to do this alot (which isn't a great idea!) there have
been devices sold which will make the cuts for you.

--

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems