[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CursOff?

fourer@nucsrl.UUCP (03/23/87)

Does anyone know how to stop the IBM PC cursor from blinking on and off?
I'm particularly interested in stopping (or at least slowing) it in
WordPerfect, but any information would be useful.  I vaguely recall
seeing an ad for a program that claimed to do this.

Replies may be posted or sent to ihnp4!nucsrl!fourer.UUCP.

Barry O'Neill
Department of Industrial Engineering, Northwestern University

roy@tlxprs.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <3580001@nucsrl.UUCP> fourer@nucsrl.UUCP (Robert Fourer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to stop the IBM PC cursor from blinking on and off?
>I'm particularly interested in stopping (or at least slowing) it in
>WordPerfect, but any information would be useful.  I vaguely recall
>seeing an ad for a program that claimed to do this.

To turn the cursor off use Bios interrupt 10H
	MOV AX,100h
	MOV CX,400H
	INT 10H

To turn normal cursor back on
	MOV AX,100H
	MOV CX,10FH
	INT 10H

That's it....

flowers@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <3580001@nucsrl.UUCP> fourer@nucsrl.UUCP (Robert Fourer) writes:
>Does anyone know how to stop the IBM PC cursor from blinking on and off?
>I vaguely recall seeing an ad for a program that claimed to do this.

Ray Duncan's book says that the blink is generated by the hardware.
You can set the scan lines which the cursor occupies by an interrupt,
but not the blink.

I have been told that there is a package that provides a non-blinking
cursor, I think by Nostradamus.  Supposedly what it does is specify
that the system cursor occupy no scan lines, thus making it be
invisible, and then it provides a cursor of its own.  The claim was
that it is slow, because it is managing its own cursor and also that
screen output must write twice as much (the invisible system cursor
and then the software cursor).  I haven't seen it myself so can't say.

If you just want to change the shape of the cursor (or get rid of it),
the code to do so is given in many books.