[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Access to lending library

godawski@usceast.UUCP (03/12/87)

I am kind-of new at using the NET, and I was wondering just how I
can get at those programs?  I'm particularly interested in IBM-PC
and MAC programs.

If the programs can only be gotten at by sending tapes/disks/etc, is
there some way to request the files and have them emailed directly
to me?

Thank you for advance.  I'd appreciate no flames--I know that I could
probably get this info some other way, but I believe that I'm not the
only person who would like to have this info.

mike godawski
USC Dept of CSCI
Columbia SC 29203
{ihnp4,allegra,seismo} !akgua!usceast!godawski

kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (03/13/87)

In article <2351@usceast.UUCP> godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike godawski) writes:
>I am kind-of new at using the NET, and I was wondering just how I
>can get at those programs?  I'm particularly interested in IBM-PC
>and MAC programs.
>
>If the programs can only be gotten at by sending tapes/disks/etc, is
>there some way to request the files and have them emailed directly
>to me?
>
>Thank you for advance.  I'd appreciate no flames--I know that I could
>probably get this info some other way, but I believe that I'm not the
>only person who would like to have this info.
>
>mike godawski
>USC Dept of CSCI
>Columbia SC 29203
>{ihnp4,allegra,seismo} !akgua!usceast!godawski

I'm interested in how to get these programs myself.  Is this the same as
ARCHIVE-REQUEST@SIMTEL20.ARPA??

Karl

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (03/17/87)

It was my posting ("you have no idea how _frustrating_ it is...")
that caused many knowledgable folks to share the secret of accessing
SIMTEL20 archives. I am in particular indebted to Keith Peterson
(.."son" or "...sen" - I forget) who sent me detailed information on
the "tricks of the trade."

I followed the instructions and sent a "send info" message to the
necessary destination. My request was answered, but it did take some
time. I sent in two requests: one on Feb 27, the second on March 10.

The first was
	Date:    27 Feb 87 08:54:32 PST (Fri)
	To:      tektronix!ucbvax!simtel20.ARPA!ARCHIVE-REQUEST

The second, suggested by Keith, was
	Date:    10 Mar 87 08:24:05 PST (Tue)
	To:      SIMTEL20.ARPA!ARCHIVE-REQUEST@uw-beaver

My guess is that the second one was "the winner" and elicited the
response. which was sent March 14. (Does SIMTEL20 only take care of
this kind of work on the weekends maybe? Seems logical.)

(I'm assuming that our local mailer (or mail server, or mail
name-server, or whatever-the-heck-server it is) took care of
prepending whatever was necessary onto the "SIMTEL..." address I put
on it (message #2). Who knows - that stuff is all magic, anyway :-) )

Bottom line - it works. Now all I have to do is figure out what's in
there and try actually *getting* something. Ohboyohboyohboy!

keith

Gary_David_Archer@cup.portal.com.UUCP (03/29/87)

Well, after seeing all the 'how to access the archives'  how about
letting us Novices into the secrets and posting the answer here.

Thanks

Gary Archer