[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-DOS Yacc

RichardKitts@cup.portal.com.UUCP (03/22/87)

Hello.
I have just aquired the executables for an MS-DOS version of YACC.
If anyone would like a copy send me your address and I'll mail you a
UUENCODED arc file.

        sun!cup.portal.com!RichardKitts

darrylo@hpsrlc.UUCP (03/24/87)

In message <233@cup.portal.com> RichardKitts@cup.portal.com writes:

> Hello.
> I have just aquired the executables for an MS-DOS version of YACC.
> If anyone would like a copy send me your address and I'll mail you a
> UUENCODED arc file.
>
>       sun!cup.portal.com!RichardKitts

     It is rumored -- and it looks like this rumor is true -- that the
version of YACC that floated by here on USENET, that was being sold
by PD software companies, and that was in CLMFORUM on CompuServe is
NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN.  Supposedly, a long time ago, someone took the
OFFICIAL AT&T sources to YACC, hacked them to say something like
"distributed by DECUS", and spread it around as PD.  AT&T is bringing
out the heavy internal security troops for this one (again,
supposedly).

     I'd be *very* wary about distributing any version of YACC -- I'd
make very sure that it wasn't compiled from modified AT&T sources.

     -- Darryl Okahata
        ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!hplabs!hpscda!hpsrla!darrylo		<== best path
	hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo				<== alternative
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

wwhite@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (03/25/87)

Being new to this net, I don't know about UUENCODED files. How do I
take the text and turn it into an ARC file?
		Bill White

RichardKitts@cup.portal.com.UUCP (03/26/87)

Hello again.
I have received a huge amount of mail regarding the MS-DOS Yacc. Please don't
send anymore. I will make a general posting as soon as I resolve 2 things.
First and most important, my computer died during a memory upgrade. Perhaps
died is too strong, lets say in a deep coma. However the prognosis is good
and I should be online soon.( I'm using a freinds now)
 Secondly there was some question as to whether this is a truly "PD" version
of Yacc. I beleive it is as I have seen no copyright notice in the documen-
tation or on the screen. Still this will take a few days for me to determine
wheter or not it is PD. I will either post the program at the beginning of
next week, or let you know I can't.
  Sorry for the delay.

   Rick

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (03/26/87)

RichardKitts@cup.portal.com.UUCP wrote:
>I have just aquired the executables for an MS-DOS version of YACC.
>If anyone would like a copy send me your address and I'll mail you a
>UUENCODED arc file.
>
>        sun!cup.portal.com!RichardKitts

There is a version of YACC in COMMERCIAL distribution about that has
been said to be public domain. IT IS NOT. Legal action has been taken
to eliminate this distribution at the source. I would strongly advise
against the distribution of any version of YACC as you by either receiving
it or redistributing it may and are probably infringing upon a VERY
guarded trade secret of some folks with *LOTS* of lawyers and security people.

ABSOLUTELY NO FLAMES ABOUT THIS.
This is an informational posting only. I hope that helps keep some unknowing
people out of trouble. Postings like the preceding one are ALWAYS submitted
for security investigation.

  Steve Blasingame (AT&T Oklahoma City)
  bsteve@gorgo.att.com

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (03/27/87)

>I beleive it is as I have seen no copyright notice in the documen-
>tation or on the screen. Still this will take a few days for me to determine
>wheter or not it is PD. I will either post the program at the beginning of
>next week, or let you know I can't.
>  Sorry for the delay.

If you wish assistance in identifying the program you can contact the people
at AT&T directly at 1-800-828-UNIX and they will be happy to assist you. If
that fails you may contact me directly and I'll try to help. However, YACC was
a sufficiently significant program that its likes have not been duplicated in
nearly 10 years since it was first developed. The probability is *very* high
that the program that you have is in fact UNIX YACC ported and recompiled. DO
NOT distribute it without first having written assurances from AT&T (who guards
important trade secrets very jealously), or they are very likely to sue the
pants off of you. I cannot speak for either the UNIX licensing group or for
AT&T corporate legal, but having a rather substantial interest in AT&T myself,
along with 2 million other investors, I might sue decide to you too (just to
put the magnitude of this in perspective).

   Steve Blasingame (AT&T Oklahoma City)
   bsteve@gorgo.att.com
   ihnp4!gorgo!bsteve

RichardKitts@cup.portal.com.UUCP (03/30/87)

Hello again. I owe all the folks who sent me mail many apologies. It
appears that the status of the YACC I *had* is questionable. At this
time it is not clear wether this is truly the re-hacked UN*X version
but I can't afford a lawyer to figure it out.(Isn't this silly?)
Again I apologize for raising the hopes of all the folks who wrote
requesting a copy. I'll be more careful in the future.

Rick

                ***ATTENTION AT&T types!!***

I have removed this version of YACC from my system. I also informed my
source as to it's possible origins. I underwent hypno-therapy to remove
any trace of memory of what this file looked like. I have burned the disk
I backed it up on. My wife has had any memory of my memories erased. My
dog is now muzzled 24 hours a day. (Can't be TOO careful huh guys?)
Please don't send any large men wearing sunglasses or little men carrying
brief cases to my home!

Who's there??
Wait I can explain!
No, no it was all a mistake! I'm SORRY!!
No not that!! AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGG..........

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (03/31/87)

If the Yacc and Lex being distributed are not Public Domain then AT&T will
be sueing quite a few people.  First of all the copy I have seen in labled
as originating with DECUS... that gives it quite a large distribution!
Furthermore, the MSDOS version is on Compuserve in at least 2 public forums.
I have also seen it on at least 6 BBS systems scattered throughout the country.
And at least 3 companies that distribute public domain software through the
mail have been offering it for the past 6 months.

I am afraid that if AT&T did allow DECUS to publish source derived from their
product it is now so widely distributed that they will never be able to control
it.  If the DECUS version is indeed derived from AT&T's source then their
efforts to control it's distribution should start by identifying that origin
to DECUS, who, I am sure will gladly issue a warning to their members.  No
accusation, either rightly or wrongly, against it's public domain status is
worth consideration UNTIL the distributor has clarified it's status!

     Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Conputing Center
             {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega

velte@mimsy.UUCP (03/31/87)

The GNU people have released a version of YACC called Bison that proports to
be a functional copy of YACC.  No need to fear ATT's lawyers any longer.

eager@amd.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <233@cup.portal.com>, RichardKitts@cup.portal.com writes:

> Hello.
> I have just aquired the executables for an MS-DOS version of YACC.
> If anyone would like a copy send me your address and I'll mail you a
> UUENCODED arc file.
>

>         sun!cup.portal.com!RichardKitts

The SOURCES for MS-DOS versions of both YACC and LEX are available from
the C Users' Group, Box 97, McPherson, KS 67460.  YACC is disks 174 & 175,
LEX is disks 172 & 173.  Disks are $8.00 each.  Membership (1 yr) is $15.

I've used both and they are quite reasonable implementations.  I've
ported both to use the Aztec compiler and fixed bugs.  My fixes were
sent to the librarian in Houston, and (perhaps) have gotten into the
distribution version.

-- Mike Eager