[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TSR standard

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (03/27/87)

	During the discussion on TSR's a while back someone had
mentioned that Microsoft would be putting together guidelines
for people to follow in order to put a halt to TSR interference.
The writer said that they were supposed to be ready in Nov '86
and that it was already late.
	I am currently writing a TSR and wish to be in compliance
with the guidlines. Does anyone know if they have completed this
document and where I can get it.

	While I'm at it, does anyone have a 'default echo off'
patch for command.com in PC-DOS 3.2 Please ? (Note: PC-DOS)

	As always anyone else who wants this, email me and I will
post if there is sufficient interest or email otherwise.

-Jeff Scrutton

uucp:	stars!moon::scrutton@dalcs.uucp

tr@thumper.UUCP (03/30/87)

In article <2483@dalcs.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcs.UUCP writes:
> [...]
> 	While I'm at it, does anyone have a 'default echo off'
> patch for command.com in PC-DOS 3.2 Please ? (Note: PC-DOS)
> [...]
>
> -Jeff Scrutton

Here is how to set echo off as the default in PC-DOS version 3.2.  You
can turn it back on in batch files using an "echo on" statement.

C>debug command.com
-e 1b2c
xxxx:1b2c  01.00
-w
Writing 5CEF bytes
-q

--
Tom Reingold
Internet: tr@bellcore.com

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (04/01/87)

/* Written 11:42 am  Mar 27, 1987 by dalegass@dalcs.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "TSR standard" ---------- */

	During the discussion on TSR's a while back someone had
mentioned that Microsoft would be putting together guidelines
for people to follow in order to put a halt to TSR interference.
The writer said that they were supposed to be ready in Nov '86
and that it was already late.
	I am currently writing a TSR and wish to be in compliance
with the guidlines. Does anyone know if they have completed this
document and where I can get it.

	While I'm at it, does anyone have a 'default echo off'
patch for command.com in PC-DOS 3.2 Please ? (Note: PC-DOS)

	As always anyone else who wants this, email me and I will
post if there is sufficient interest or email otherwise.

-Jeff Scrutton

uucp:	stars!moon::scrutton@dalcs.uucp

/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */

This project is definately "full steam ahead", and all the participants
can be found on CompuServe in the Computer Languages Magazine SIG. The only
one of the team I'm personally acquainted with is Jim Kyle, the SIG's sysop.
Jim can tell you everything you want to know; reach him either on CIS, or
call him (he's listed in the Okla City phone book, and there's only one 'Jim
Kyle' listed - that's area code 405).

From what I've heard from Jim, Borland is working on a new version of SideKick
that will be in full compliance with the new standards (which means it won't
be so mean 'n' nasty on your dos, and you'll be able to use it with other
TSR's without forever crashing).

I hope the rest of the world takes notice, and follows suit. Sure would make
life a lot easier.

David Drexler
ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!ddrex

john@viper.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <58200029@gorgo.UUCP> ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

 >This project is definately "full steam ahead", and all the participants
 >can be found on CompuServe in the Computer Languages Magazine SIG. The only
 >one of the team I'm personally acquainted with is Jim Kyle, the SIG's sysop.
 >Jim can tell you everything you want to know; reach him either on CIS, or
 >call him (he's listed in the Okla City phone book, and there's only one 'Jim
 >Kyle' listed - that's area code 405).
 >
 >From what I've heard from Jim, Borland is working on a new version of SideKick
 >that will be in full compliance with the new standards (which means it won't
 >be so mean 'n' nasty on your dos, and you'll be able to use it with other
 >TSR's without forever crashing).
 >
 >I hope the rest of the world takes notice, and follows suit. Sure would make
 >life a lot easier.

  David, since not all of us are regulars (or even occasional visitors
to CIS or even to the CLM sig, how about telling us more about the standard?
I would welcome a fairly substantial description.  If others are interested
any chance you could get the description from CIS and post it for us?
(Or send it to the one or two (hehe) people who express an interest...(?)

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john