[comp.sys.ibm.pc] mapmem.com

sandy@uhmanoa.UUCP (04/06/87)

 I am having some problems with the mapmem.com program which maps
the locations of programs in memory.  Maybe someone could help me.
I have an IBM PC-XT portable, 640K, One 360K Drive and 30Meg ST238
with OMTI RLL controller.
	When trying to run MAPMEM I get a 'Data Read Error on Drive C'.
Does anyone know what this means with respect to this program.
	The funny thing is that it sometimes works and other does not.
The results of when it does work are really nice to have. I am pretty
sure the problem is not with the drive itself. It is only a couple
of months old and appears to work fine with everything else I have
which entails about 12Meg of files.
	Please reply to me through e-mail and I will summarize, or if you
think your reply will be of general interest the post it.

Thanks in advance.
US Mail: --Sandy Phipps--,
            Dept. Of Information and Computer Science,
            University Of Hawaii, 2565 The Mall, Room 319,
			Honolulu, HI. 96822
MA BELL: (808) 948-7175    10:00a - 3:00pm HST
UUCP   :  ...!nosc!humu!uhmanoa!sandy
        or   sandy@HAWAII.EDU

tr@thumper.UUCP (04/06/87)

In article <262@uhmanoa.UUCP>, sandy@uhmanoa.UUCP writes:

> [...]
> 	When trying to run MAPMEM I get a 'Data Read Error on Drive C'.
> Does anyone know what this means with respect to this program.
> 	The funny thing is that it sometimes works and other does not.
> The results of when it does work are really nice to have. I am pretty
> sure the problem is not with the drive itself. It is only a couple
> of months old and appears to work fine with everything else I have
> which entails about 12Meg of files.
> [...]
> --Sandy Phipps--

I am quite sure it really is a disk error.  DOS is having trouble
reading the program because it is located exactly where there is a bad
sector.  If you have Norton Utilities, use DiskTest which will mark
the sector as bad.  Before you do, make a copy of the file and delete
the file.  If you can't make a copy from your hard disk, it may be as
good as lost.  If you don't have Norton Utilities, use the RECOVER
command that comes with DOS.  Type "recover mapmem.com" which will
truncate the file, rendering it useless, while marking the bad sector
as unusable.

Just because your disk is new does not make bad sectors unlikely.  Maybe
the bad sector table was never properly marked, or maybe you just
developed a new bad sector, which is rare but not amazingly uncommon.

--
Tom Reingold
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <262@uhmanoa.UUCP>, sandy@uhmanoa.UUCP (Sandy Phipps) writes:

>  I am having some problems with the mapmem.com program which maps
> the locations of programs in memory.  Maybe someone could help me.
> I have an IBM PC-XT portable, 640K, One 360K Drive and 30Meg ST238
> with OMTI RLL controller.
> 	When trying to run MAPMEM I get a 'Data Read Error on Drive C'.
> Does anyone know what this means with respect to this program.
> 	The funny thing is that it sometimes works and other does not.
> The results of when it does work are really nice to have. I am pretty
> sure the problem is not with the drive itself. It is only a couple
> of months old and appears to work fine with everything else I have
> which entails about 12Meg of files.
> 	Please reply to me through e-mail and I will summarize, or if you
> think your reply will be of general interest the post it.

I have been using these programs sporadically for the last month on an
IBM-PC w/one DSDD and one Seagate 20 mb HD and 2mb JRAM3 card.  Mapmem
runs with no problem.  Does it cause the same kind of intermittent
errors if you run it off a floppy vs your HD?  Unless the HD is meant
for portable use, moving the computer around could disturb the write-
head/track dimensional alignment.  Suggest you copy mapmem to another
HD subdirectory and to a floppy and see if running it from them causes
the same error.  It sounds like some write/read problem is occuring
where mapmem is on your HD.

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3563

  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP