[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 'error' for MSC

roper@uw-june.UUCP (04/06/87)

Has anyone written a version of 'error' for MSC they would be willing to
share?  ('error' inserts warnings and error messages generated by the
compiler into the source code.)

--
---Michael Roper---                    *
                                       *   "Calvin, do you believe in God?"

jvc@mirror.UUCP (04/07/87)

>/* Written  9:33 am  Apr  6, 1987 by roper@uw-june.UUCP in mirror:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "'error' for MSC" ---------- */
>Has anyone written a version of 'error' for MSC they would be willing to
>share?  ('error' inserts warnings and error messages generated by the
>compiler into the source code.)
>
>--
>---Michael Roper---                    *
>                                       *   "Calvin, do you believe in God?"
>ARPA:  roper@june.cs.washington.edu    *
>UUCP:  ihnp4!uw-beaver!uw-june!roper   *  "Well...SOMEBODY is out to get me."
>/* End of text from mirror:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

I have MSC version 4.0 and it's possible to a get list file of the source
with the error messages inserted.  Is this not possible on earlier
versions?

Also if you have BRIEF and MSC version 4, you can compile the source
from within brief and if errors are found, brief will move the cursor
to the error and print the error message on the status line.
[BRIEF is a programmers editor distributed by Solution System]

Jim Champeaux	jvc@mirror.TMC.COM
		{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!jvc
Mirror Systems,	2067 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02140
Telephone:	(617) 661-0777

roper@uw-june.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <206900004@mirror>, jvc@mirror.UUCP writes:

> I have MSC version 4.0 and it's possible to a get list file of the source
> with the error messages inserted.  Is this not possible on earlier
> versions?

> Jim Champeaux	jvc@mirror.TMC.COM

I have 4.0 as well, but the list file is not very useful for correcting
compile-time errors.  I prefer the UN*X 'error' approach of inserting the
error messages as comments into the original source.  The list file has
line numbers and symbol table info mucking up the works.

If you only need it for a single compiler, it should be pretty simple
to write and I will do it myself if necessary.