[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM's new System 2 Personal Compute

berger@datacube.UUCP (04/07/87)

Who needs another propriatary incompatable hard to use software
environment.

Yeah, Unix/Xenix/Microport whatever with DOS-Merge and X-Windows!

That's a winning combination and it gets people out of the Rut of
being stuck with 80xx86 cpu's. Software written for the above (sans DOS)
could easily be ported to Sun's, Apollo's and Vaxen. Common window system
common system interface.  Totally portable* at the C source level!

It would be a wonderfully unified environment to create product for,
and its not dominated by one company, yet is even vaster a marketplace
than just DOS.

* Yes I know there is no such thing as totally portable, but it would be
VERY portable!
				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

berger@datacube.UUCP (04/08/87)

>I strongly suspect that my next computer will be a Macintosh II - unless
>someone comes up with the equivalent of a Sun for about a third the price.
>                                                -Richard Goerwitz

Have people heard; The Sun 3/50 list price just dropped from $7900 to $5000.
Folks with volume discounts  can get them for less than $4k.
The Sun 3/50 includes:
	68020
	68881 FPU
	4 Meg RAM with high performance MMU
	Ethernet i/f (Thin ethernet tranciever included)
	1100 x 900 66hz Bitmap display

Of course you still need disk (a large one compared to PC's) and you need
low cost application software, something definatly lacking in the SUN world.

cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <105500005@datacube>, berger@datacube.UUCP writes:

> Who needs another propriatary incompatable hard to use software
> environment.
>
> Yeah, Unix/Xenix/Microport whatever with DOS-Merge and X-Windows!

	I agree and I believe, that IBM agrees as well They are, it
is rumored, porting X-WINDOWS to AIX, and it is already known that
AIX will arrive for the model 80, (probably sooner than os/2 extended).
I have used AIX on the RT PC and I can not tell the difference between
that environment and system V.  They say that if users can't tell it
isn't UNIX and applications can't tell it isn't UNIX.... Then it's
UNIX.

/Carl

dan@prairie.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <659@unccvax.UUCP> cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) writes:
>	I agree and I believe, that IBM agrees as well They are, it
>is rumored, porting X-WINDOWS to AIX...

   X runs on the RT's at the University of Wisconsin, although that
took some kernel hacking because of the 4.2(ish) lack of SIGWINCH
and its supporting window list.

--
      Dan Frank (w9nk)
	ARPA: dan@db.wisc.edu			ATT: (608) 255-0002 (home)