[comp.sys.ibm.pc] another problem with my xpc!

godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski) (04/09/87)

Hello again.  This is beginning to look (to me anyway) the problem of the
week section.  This morning, I turned on my computer and was typing a paper
for a friend.  Bout noon, I decided to go eat my lunch.  Instead of saving
the file, exiting windows, and powering down, I just left it there and
went and ate my lunch.  I've done this a hundred times...I think we all do
occasionally.  Anyway, when I returned from lunch, my computer was off!
The light on my MasterPiece Plus (tm) was on, every light (where a perif
is plugged in) was on, my monitor/printer were on, but the computer had
"gliched out" or more simply, gone to lunch.  I guess it didn't want me
leaving it alone.  Puzzled, I pushed the "computer" button to turn it off,
let the machine sit for a few minutes, then "pushed the button" to the on
position.  The machine came up fine.  While in the middle of a text editor,
the machine "went to lunch" again (it must've been real hungry!)  Anyway,
I powered down, opened the machine, and decided to move boards around.
To make a long story short...I moved my speed up board to the slot nearest
the power supply (where the circulating air is) and put the machine back
together.

Could my problem be a HEAT problem, or possibly a power supply going
bad.  Sounds like a heat problem, but i'd like to check it out with
you all first.  My machine is an XPC (by Xor) w/640K, 2-360K flops,
1-Qubie' 20MB HD, EGA, Serial ports, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
<--> Mike Godawski
<-->      USMail : 1907A Wheat Street; Columbia SC 29205

godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski) (04/09/87)

One more thing...(I'm sorry to post 2 things but it's late/early)

The machine in question has been running since 8:06pm and it is presently
5:54am...

I know what you're saying... go to bed and get some sleep.  You're delerious.

--

wmf@chinet.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <2363@usceast.UUCP> godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike godawski) writes:
>occasionally.  Anyway, when I returned from lunch, my computer was off!
>[..]  Puzzled, I pushed the "computer" button to turn it off,
>I powered down, opened the machine, and decided to move boards around.

I might have tried to induce the error at least a third time.

If you follow the practice of popping the back off and swapping cards every
time your PC locks up, you stand a chance of proving a version of Murphy's Law:

	"Muck around with anything long enough and you'll break it."

Bill Fischer
...!ihnp4!chinet!wmf

"Yeah, it's really strange, this is the third bad board you guys have given me"

| Fortiter in re, suaviter in modo                        Bill Fischer        |
|                                                     ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf     |