[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Clock speed with V-20 on turbo clone

wales@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/10/87)

I have a Taiwanese "turbo XT clone".  It currently uses an Intel
8088-2 as the processor, and the clock speed can be switched at will
between 4.77 and 8 MHz.

I have ordered a NEC V-20 processor chip (8 MHz version), which I
plan to install in place of the 8088-2.

My question is:

Once I install the 8 MHz V-20, is there any reason I would ever want to
run the clock at the slow speed (4.77 MHz)?  Or should I simply run at
8 MHz all the time, no matter what software I am running?

In asking this question, I am not worrying about timing-dependent pro-
grams such as games.  I realize the timing on these will be all messed
up once I switch from an 8088 to a V-20; I don't care.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 213-825-5683
	3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1600 // USA
	wales@CS.UCLA.EDU   ...!(ucbvax,rutgers)!ucla-cs!wales
"Sir, there is a multilegged creature crawling on your shoulder."

dennis@wolf.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <5477@shemp.UCLA.EDU>, wales@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:
> Once I install the 8 MHz V-20, is there any reason I would ever want to
> run the clock at the slow speed (4.77 MHz)?  Or should I simply run at
> 8 MHz all the time, no matter what software I am running?

On my Tawainese Turbo Clone (with an 8MHZ 8088), when I operate at
8mhz with either Qmodem or Procomm, I get missing characters when I
communicate (at 1200 baud).  Otherwise, the comm port functions just fine
at 4.77 MHZ.  I don't know if this problem is unique to me or not.  Perhaps
if some people replied to me via the mailer I can decide whether to have
my motherboard serviced or not.......

--
                                 Dennis Lou

                   {ihnp4   sdcsvax} jack!wolf!dennis