[comp.sys.ibm.pc] User interfaces

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <194@eli.UUCP>, geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) writes:
> And also - how many MAC owners really take advantage of the graphics
> capabilities provided by the MAC? And how many really like the interface?
> Probably many - but does everyone - or are people get tired of a
> forced-mouse environment (in most situations).
>
> David Geller

I work with lots of different operating systems.  Each one has a different
command for deleting a file.  Also, I don't know how many times I've said
'cat <filename>' under DOS.

You can't even begin to imagine the pleasure I get out of being able to
operate very effectively without having to memorize an entirely new set of
commands.  Yeah, I can (if I feel like it) memorize that cloverleaf-Q is
quit or that cloverleaf-I is Get Info or whatever.  But, if I don't, I can
still do everything.  And I don't have to search cluttered menu screens for
the command I want.

As for whether I take advantage of the graphics interface, I think I do.
The graphics interface makes it easier for me to figure out what's going on
without having to invest lots of time to learn the package.  That, to me, is
taking advantage of it.

That's why I like Windows and I'm almost salivating over OS/2.  When those two
hit the market, I may be saying goodbye to the Mac on my desk.
--
"I see neon lights                      Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 Whenever you walk by."

cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (04/12/87)

> Also, I don't know how many times I've said
> 'cat <filename>' under DOS.

I continually do that as well that is why I don't bother to remember which
system I am on... I just have a 'cat.bat' file that is on the path which
does:
	type %1
as well as an 'ls.bat' file which does:
	cls
	dir /w %1
try batch files on the mac!  Gee How inflexable can't rename the command

better still write all of these commands in C... they are given as examples
in the K+R gospel.
/Carl

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <664@unccvax.UUCP>, cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) writes:
> > Also, I don't know how many times I've said
> > 'cat <filename>' under DOS.
> I continually do that as well that is why I don't bother to remember which
> system I am on... I just have ... an 'ls.bat' file which does:
> 	cls
> 	dir /w %1
> try batch files on the mac!  Gee How inflexable can't rename the command
> /Carl

I could do that.  I don't for a simple reason.  I also end up having to explain
to other people how to do that stuff and it makes life weird for me when I have
to translate between my batch files and their batch files.  Weak reason, perhaps.

Gee, I can't rename commands on the Mac/Windows/etc.  But, of course, I have no
reason to rename them because it's not like I can ever type 'ls' when I mean to
type 'dir' because I'm never typing any commands!  On the other hand, some
sort of way to create a batch file to do a number of mouse movements would be
nice (For example, select three files, hit cloverleaf-Z and they all get moved
to the trash and deleted).  Any Microsoft people out there developing OS/2?
--
"Tonight I'll be here                     Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 Watching over you."