[comp.sys.ibm.pc] from 1 to 2 hard disks.

godawski@usceast.UUCP (04/13/87)

In the future, I'd like to go from one to two hard disks on my computer.
My hard disk controller is supposed to talk to two hard disks, but I am
not sure just how.  The controller has 1-34 pin and 2-20 pin sets.  The
34 pin set and one of the 20 pin sets have ribbon cables attached to
them that connect directly to the hard disk.

How do you, using the remaining 20 pin set, connect to another hard disk?
I assume that you have to replace the 34-ribbon cable with something that
resembles the ribbon cable that attaches to the floppy drives (takes on
two floppys at once).

If I am incorrect, please correct me by mail.
mwg

--
<--> Mike Godawski
<-->      USMail : 1907A Wheat Street; Columbia SC 29205

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (04/14/87)

Since your HD controller card already has a second 20 pin
connector, it should be relatively easy to connect a second drive
to your controller.  Getting it to actually work could be quite
another matter.

Assuming you have a regualr ST506/412 drive (the usual on a PeeCee
or clone), the 20 pin connector is for the data to/from the drive.
Each drive has its own data connector.

The 37 pin connector is for the drive control signals.  It is
similar in nature to the connector on a floppy.  There should be a
set of jumpers on the hard disk for selecting the unit number of
the drive. C: is usually 0, and D: is usually unit 1.  Most drive
have the jumper strip just above the 37 pin connector.  More than
likely it will already be set to unit 0.  You'll probably need to
move the jumper from the end, one notch toward the opposite end of
the jumper strip.  Most hard disks also have a termination resistor
pack as do floppy drives.  Only the last drive on the chain should
have the resistor pack installed (they are usually socketed so that
the superfluous resistor packs can be removed).  Oh yes, in
general, the 37 pin ribbon goes straight through to as many drive
units as you have.

Some times, you have to change jumpers on the HD controller card.
It's impossible to say for sure unless I know what card it is you
have.  Best that you call the company that made your card to be
sure.  Tell them what type(s) of drives you're connecting.  Life
will likely be a lot easier for you if both drives are the same
brand and model.

Make sure the wattage of your computer's power supply is up to the
load imposed by a second drive.  Figure an extra 20 watts are
required for the extra drive as a safety margin.  Most of the time
while the drive is just spinning, it won't use that much power.--
but starting up is another story...

You may need to low level format your new drive.  If you have an AT
compatible machine, use the hard disk prep program on the
diagnostics disk.  Consult your owner's manual for exact details,
or yell at your friendly dealer for help.  If you have an XT
compatible, you use DEBUG.COM to get at a format routine stored in
the HD controller's on-board ROM BIOS.  Call up DEBUG, and then
type G C800:nnnn (press return).  nnnn is the starting address of
the the format routine.  You'll need to ask the HD controller's
maker what nnnn should be if it's not mentioned in the
documentation included with your equipment.  The format routine
should prompt you with a menu.  Generally, the default values
offered will work o.k.  You will, however, need to know the "type
number" for your disk drive.  The manufacturer can tell you the
type number if it is not included in the documentation.

The last step is to use FDISK in the normal way to set up
partitions on your new drive.

A program called SPEEDSTOR is also useful, as it will automatically
do a low level format and set up the partitions on your new disk.
I'm not sure of the price, but SPEEDSTOR is between $50 and $100.
It can also set up logical units on drives > 30 mB for use with
DOS.

As you can see, adding a second fixed disk can be a complex
procedure.  It is often useful to get an experienced friend to
assist in the operation.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

jons@islenet.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <2365@usceast.UUCP> godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike godawski) writes:
>In the future, I'd like to go from one to two hard disks on my computer.
>My hard disk controller is supposed to talk to two hard disks, but I am
>not sure just how.  The controller has 1-34 pin and 2-20 pin sets.  The
>34 pin set and one of the 20 pin sets have ribbon cables attached to
>them that connect directly to the hard disk.
>
>How do you, using the remaining 20 pin set, connect to another hard disk?
>I assume that you have to replace the 34-ribbon cable with something that
>resembles the ribbon cable that attaches to the floppy drives (takes on
>two floppys at once).
>
><--> Mike Godawski
><-->      USMail : 1907A Wheat Street; Columbia SC 29205
><-->      BITNET : T170139 @ UNIVSCVM
><-->               ncr-sd!ncrcae-\
><-->      E-mail :         akgua-->!usceast!godawski
><-->                       ihnp4-/

Exactly so. Just clamp another 34-pin connector in the middle of your 34-pin
connector. The drive on the end of the 34-pin then becomes drive 2 or
drive "D". You must also change a jumper on the drives. On Seagates, as
you look at the back of the drive, the jumper is located to the very left.
Drive 2 would be moved over one.

Also, the terminating resistor (bottom of drive) must be removed on the drive
in the middle (drive C).

Thinking about doing the same thing myself.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
	OR