[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Trojan horses

jsm@vax1.UUCP (03/31/87)

The April issue of 'Computer Language' gives a rave review , by one Tim
Parker, of a public-domain program called NOTROJ.COM. The program is
alleged to be a protection against trojan horses; Parker says that
"this superb little package should be used by anyone working with software
for the first time ".

The catch is that NOTROJ is well known in the BBS community as being ITSELF
a trojan horse; it will perform a low-level format on ones hard disk if and
only if the hard disk is over 50% full!

This is detailed in Eric Newhouse's superb list of trojan horses, DIRTYDOZ
(available on most BBS's; I'll try to get it uploaded here).

I am very angry that a national publication has, through the incompetence of
its staff, published information that will cause injury to the naive
reader. I have written the editor about this, and suggest that all others
concerned about the trojan problem do the same.

kfk9673@ritcv.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <324@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu> jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jon Meltzer) writes:
>The April issue of 'Computer Language' gives a rave review , by one Tim
>Parker, of a public-domain program called NOTROJ.COM. The program is
>alleged to be a protection against trojan horses; Parker says that
>"this superb little package should be used by anyone working with software
>for the first time ".
>
>The catch is that NOTROJ is well known in the BBS community as being ITSELF
>a trojan horse; it will perform a low-level format on ones hard disk if and
>only if the hard disk is over 50% full!
>
>This is detailed in Eric Newhouse's superb list of trojan horses, DIRTYDOZ
>(available on most BBS's; I'll try to get it uploaded here).
>
>I am very angry that a national publication has, through the incompetence of
>its staff, published information that will cause injury to the naive
>reader. I have written the editor about this, and suggest that all others
>concerned about the trojan problem do the same.

I read an article in PC Week last summer and it mentioned that the people
who created the SoftGuard protection scheme have created a trojan horse that
would destroy a disk if the "trojan" was used to remove the SoftGuard
protection from a program.

Karl Kingston

UUCP:  ..!rochester!ritcv!kfk9673
BITNET:  KFK9673@RITVAX
         (If your site doesn't recognize RITVAX, use RITVAXC instead)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (04/02/87)

In article <324@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu>, jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jon Meltzer) writes:
> The April issue of 'Computer Language' gives a rave review , by one Tim
      ^^^^^
> Parker, of a public-domain program called NOTROJ.COM.

	Perhaps, this way some sort of cruel April fools' joke on
Tim Parker's part.  It is difficult to believe that anyone that has
even minimal knowledge of what a Trojan Horse program is has not
heard of notroj's infamous reputation.

	The one person I know who had problems with notroj stopped
it cold before it did its dirty work, as it began to complain about
relatively inocuous items such as lotus 1-2-3 that had been on the
disk for quite some time.

  --Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

beser@mcs.UUCP (04/03/87)

writes:

> The April issue of 'Computer Language' gives a rave review , by one Tim
> Parker, of a public-domain program called NOTROJ.COM. The program is
> alleged to be a protection against trojan horses; Parker says that
> "this superb little package should be used by anyone working with software
> for the first time ".
>
> The catch is that NOTROJ is well known in the BBS community as being ITSELF
> a trojan horse; it will perform a low-level format on ones hard disk if and
> only if the hard disk is over 50% full!

Not only is this documented by the BBS community, It was written about
in ACM's SIGSOFT (Journal of Software Engineering). They weren't sure
if this software had some legitimate bugs, or was deliberatly destructive.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if someone rushes out to obtain this
delightful ditty on the basis of recomendations from a reputable
national magazine, and NOTROJ does its thing, isn't the magazine
liable for contributory neglegence? It's like the New England
Journal of Medicine raving about Arsenic as a cure for the cold.

I think that if this was the April Fool's article, it was very
subtle and should be take as such. If not, the author is quite
naive, and somewhat dangerous. That makes anything he says as
suspect.

Eric Beser
seismo!aplcen!cp1!sarin!eric
ebeser @ ada20 (arpanet)

The opinions expressed are Mine...Mine!!...MINE!!!!! I will kill
anyone who tells me different!

jsm@vax1.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <10@mcs.UUCP> beser@mcs.UUCP (Eric Beser USENET) writes:
>In article <324@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu>, jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jon Meltzer)
>writes:
>
>> The April issue of 'Computer Language' gives a rave review , by one Tim
>> Parker, of a public-domain program called NOTROJ.COM. The program is
>> alleged to be a protection against trojan horses; Parker says that
>> "this superb little package should be used by anyone working with software
>> for the first time ".
>>
>> The catch is that NOTROJ is well known in the BBS community as being ITSELF
>> a trojan horse ...
>>
>Not only is this documented by the BBS community, It was written about
>in ACM's SIGSOFT (Journal of Software Engineering). They weren't sure
>if this software had some legitimate bugs, or was deliberatly destructive.
>
>I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if someone rushes out to obtain this
>delightful ditty on the basis of recomendations from a reputable
>national magazine, and NOTROJ does its thing, isn't the magazine
>liable for contributory neglegence? It's like the New England
>Journal of Medicine raving about Arsenic as a cure for the cold.

If "Computer Language" wants to have any credibility henceforth, it must
fire Parker and print a retraction.

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <338@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu> jsm@vax1.UUCP (Jon Meltzer) writes:
>If "Computer Language" wants to have any credibility henceforth, it must
>fire Parker and print a retraction.

Indeed.  I presume *you* walk on water, Mr. Meltzer, when writing.
Could I hire you to do my next project?  Surely an infallible engineer
must be worth any amount of money.
--
Rick Keir -- one floor up from the Oyster Tank -- UWisc - Madison
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (04/17/87)

In article <1389@uwmacc.UUCP> rick@unix.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (Rick Keir) writes:

> In article <338@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu> jsm@vax1.UUCP (Jon Meltzer) writes:
> >If "Computer Language" wants to have any credibility henceforth, it must
> >fire Parker and print a retraction.
>
> Indeed.  I presume *you* walk on water, Mr. Meltzer, when writing.
> Could I hire you to do my next project?  Surely an infallible engineer
> must be worth any amount of money.

It doesn't take water-walking to test a program before you publish it.
Even if Mr. Parker suffered a lapse, a well-run organization would have a
system to compensate for such possibilities.  There is NO EXCUSE for
shipping (or publishing, in this case) untested software.
--

	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff