[comp.sys.ibm.pc] New IBM, first impression....

tslu@oliveb.UUCP (04/13/87)

> 	Saw and played with new IBMs today.
>
> 1) Norton Sysinfo says it's 1.9 times the speed of a PC. I was not blown away
> 	by this. My 90$ 4-layer 8MHZ clone board is rather a bit faster than
> 	that. The on-board RAM is apparently the same (?). This is not a good
> 	deal as far as I am concerned, since an AT clone is ~1200$ and that
> 	will blow the socks off the new IBM.

I could not agree more. The Performance System's 386 machine is 21
( YES, I SAID 21 ) times the speed of a PC, but its basic model cost
only $2,895. This is less expensive than the 20M 8086 based IBM System 30
with color monitor ( $3,095 ).

Price / Performance comparison:

IBM Model 30:      3,095 / 1.9 = 1629 ( $ per PC performance )
Performance 386:   2,895 / 21  = 138

Now: 1629 / 138 = 11.8 ( Wow !!!! )

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (04/17/87)

In article <816@oliveb.UUCP> tslu@oliveb.UUCP (Shang Lu) writes:

>> 	Saw and played with new IBMs today.
>>
>> 1) Norton Sysinfo says it's 1.9 times the speed of a PC. I was not blown away

...[ More PS/2 bashing ] :-)

>I could not agree more. The Performance System's 386 machine is 21
>( YES, I SAID 21 ) times the speed of a PC, but its basic model cost
              ^^^^-- Where did you get this number?

>only $2,895. This is less expensive than the 20M 8086 based IBM System 30
>with color monitor ( $3,095 ).

...[ More comparisons ]

Is 21x a number from Norton's SI?

Haven't people stopped using SI yet? It's insane!

I tried a few things on a 16MHz Compaq 386 recently and got SI=7.0,
the machine did not blow me away but it seemed quite nice.

SI=21 sounds too good to be true, and if it sounds too good....
Is the Compaq that bad in comparison or did I have my foot on the brakes :-)

Anyone know how long until we see the iAPX486?

-Jeff Scrutton  "Programming: The Turing test; only backwards."