[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for C++ on MSDOS

perry@omepd.UUCP (04/15/87)

In <1010@rpics.RPI.EDU> (in comp.sys.ibm.pc)
	wet@lcuxlm.UUCP quotes pegasus@hansen (Tony Hansen) as saying
>I've been using Microsoft C with a fair amount of success. It implements a
>lot of the System V library routines. Also, Guidelines C++ will work with it.
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ooops! What do I see here dangling before my eyes?!

I'm a fan of C++ ever since I read the book by the unpronouncable author (:->).
Until now, the only way to get it onto an IBM PC seemed to be to buy the stuff
from AT&T and port it myself. They are asking $2K (I'm not a university, just
an interested user), which is FAR too much to consider for a private purchase.

SOOOO: Does anybody on the net know of C++ implementations that I can run
on my lowly XT clone under MS-DOS?! What is "Guidelines C++", and is it
reasonable (in both price and performance)? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. (for ...ibm.pc readers):
      If you don't know of C++, repent and get to know it. If you like C,
      you'll LOVE C++. If you think C is not so hot, you may find C++ to
      be some relief.
  <<  Perry The Cynic >>		   =>> perry@inteloa.intel.com <<=
				      ...!tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!inteloa!perry
   (Peter Kiehtreiber)				...!verdix!omepd!inteloa!perry

tr@thumper.UUCP (tom reingold) (04/15/87)

In article <569@omepd>, perry@omepd.UUCP writes:
> [...]
> SOOOO: Does anybody on the net know of C++ implementations that I can run
> on my lowly XT clone under MS-DOS?! What is "Guidelines C++", and is it
> reasonable (in both price and performance)? Any help is appreciated.
> [...]
>   <<  Perry The Cynic >>		   =>> perry@inteloa.intel.com <<=

I got a letter from Lattice in Illinois saying that they sell a C++
compiler.  (Or is it merely a pre-pre-processor?)  I threw it out
so I can't give you any more info so call up Lattice.  Last I knew,
they could be reached at:

	Lattice, Inc.
	22W600 Butterfield Rd
	Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

I suspect you can get their phone number by calling (312) 555-1212 and
giving them the above address.

--
Tom Reingold
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.com

marshall@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Marshall Spight) (04/16/87)

In article <569@omepd> perry@inteloa.intel.com (Perry The Cynic) writes:
>SOOOO: Does anybody on the net know of C++ implementations that I can run
>on my lowly XT clone under MS-DOS?! What is "Guidelines C++", and is it
>reasonable (in both price and performance)? Any help is appreciated.

Guidelines Software has a version of C++ than runs under MS-DOS.  It is
$195 and comes with a copy of the AT&T release notes and the book by Bjarne
Stroustrup.  Here is the address:

Guidelines Software
P.O. Box 749
Orinda, CA  94563
(415) 254-9393

It is advertised in Computer Language Magazine and Dr. Dobbs Journal.

It requires 640K of RAM and a hard disk, and you need to have MicroSoft C
version 3.0 or 4.0.

You can try it for 30 days, and return it for a full refund if you are not
satisfied.

Is it good?  HELL YES!  And at $195 you can't beat it!

(I *am* affiliated with Guidelines Software.  I am one of the two founders :-)

				Marshall Spight
				Head Honcho, Guidelines Software

				marshall@ucbarpa.edu

spellman@hplchm.UUCP (04/17/87)

Lifeboat has a C++ for $495 list. They are the people that did the
Lattice C compiler so I imagine it's decent although I've never
used it.
					Miles Spellman

geller@eli.UUCP (David Geller) (04/18/87)

In article <3270003@hplchm.HP.COM>, spellman@hplchm.HP.COM (Miles Spellman) writes:
> Lifeboat has a C++ for $495 list. They are the people that did the
> Lattice C compiler so I imagine it's decent although I've never
> used it.
> 					Miles Spellman

Well, Lattice did Lattice. Lifeboat is just a distributor in New
York City. I have never considered them to be very good. They
have never been VERY knowledgeable about the products they distributed
nor were they ever particularly friendly. Lattice, on the other
hand, produced a fine product and has always been very pleasant to
deal with. Don't do Lattice the dishonor of considering them the
"pet" of Lifeboat.

David Geller
Washington, D.C.

Disinformation Through Politics, Inc.

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <3270003@hplchm.HP.COM> spellman@hplchm.UUCP writes:
>Lifeboat has a C++ for $495 list. They are the people that did the
>Lattice C compiler so I imagine it's decent although I've never
>used it.

Lifeboat is, basically, a distributor, not a software house.  If they
are selling a C++, it is likely to be someone else's software.  What I
would do (since Lifeboat rarely has great prices) is to find out who
did the compiler, and then look for it at other places.

--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

dricej@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) (04/21/87)

For those who want to know, Glockenspiel, in Ireland, did the port of the
Advantage C++ being marketed by Lifeboat.  It even carries their copyright.
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard!axiom,linus!axiom,ll-xn}!drilex!dricej

dick@zaphod.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (04/21/87)

Expires:

In article <3270003@hplchm.HP.COM> spellman@hplchm.HP.COM (Miles Spellman) writes:
>Lifeboat has a C++ for $495 list. They are the people that did the
>Lattice C compiler so I imagine it's decent [...]

Careful, now.  Lifeboat SELLS software, Lattice WRITES software.  Just
because Lifeboat sells some good stuff doesn't mean it's all good!
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick