[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question about CodeView

phcalamai@water.UUCP (04/06/87)

I recently upgraded to the latest verion of MicroSoft's Fortran and
I'm preplexed by a statement in their README.DOC. It says, and I quote:

When using the Microsoft FORTRAN version of the Microsoft CodeView (TM)
Debugger, you must set the PATH environment variable so that the FORTRAN
version of the CV.EXE file is the first version found in the path.
Setting PATH in this way ensures that you do not use a different version
of CV.EXE (for example, the CV.EXE file for Microsoft C) with Microsoft
FORTRAN programs.

If this is truly a problem why on earth did Microsoft not call these
two incantations of CV something like CVC.EXE and CVFORT.EXE to avoid
any conflict and eliminated the need for the setting of PATH?

Is this really a problem? Is there a simple work-around?

THANKS....Paul Calamai.

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (04/13/87)

> I recently upgraded to the latest verion of MicroSoft's Fortran and
> I'm preplexed by a statement in their README.DOC. It says, and I quote:
> If this is truly a problem why on earth did Microsoft not call these
> two incantations of CV something like CVC.EXE and CVFORT.EXE to avoid
> any conflict and eliminated the need for the setting of PATH?
>
> Is this really a problem? Is there a simple work-around?
>
> THANKS....Paul Calamai.

How about renaming the files to CVC.EXE and CVFOR.EXE?  There's nothing
special about the name--you have to type it in yourself.
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

mrw@homxb.UUCP (M.WHITNEY) (04/21/87)

In article <894@water.UUCP>, phcalamai@water.UUCP writes:

> I recently upgraded to the latest verion of MicroSoft's Fortran and
> I'm preplexed by a statement in their README.DOC. It says, and I quote:
>
> When using the Microsoft FORTRAN version of the Microsoft CodeView (TM)
> Debugger, you must set the PATH environment variable so that the FORTRAN
> version of the CV.EXE file is the first version found in the path.
> Setting PATH in this way ensures that you do not use a different version
> of CV.EXE (for example, the CV.EXE file for Microsoft C) with Microsoft
> FORTRAN programs.
>
> If this is truly a problem why on earth did Microsoft not call these
> two incantations of CV something like CVC.EXE and CVFORT.EXE to avoid
> any conflict and eliminated the need for the setting of PATH?
>
> Is this really a problem? Is there a simple work-around?

Yes - the CodeView(TM) that comes with Microsoft Fortran also works on
Microsoft C.  Therefore, just trash the version that came with the C
compiler.

             Ken Becker   hotlv!kab

The opinions expressed above are mine, and not those of my employer.