[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help w/ AT&T Keyboard?

dd26#@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. Dejulio) (04/19/87)

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To: nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc@andrew.cmu.edu

*
Help!  I own an AT&T PC-6300.  Just recently, my keyboard got
squashed.  Several of the keys are broken, and the little lights
don't blink when it boots up anymore.  I've seen several replacement
keyboards for teh AT&T in magazines, but there may be a problem.  I
have an AT&T mouse, which plugs into the keyboard.  I don't know if
any of the replacement keyboards have the little plug for the mouse.
Anyone have any experience with any of them?  Your help is
appreciated.

-Doug DeJulio
bitnet: r747dd26@cmccvb, doug@drycas

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (04/20/87)

In article <wUWHDLy00WAK0mc06H@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
> *
> Help!  I own an AT&T PC-6300.  Just recently, my keyboard got
> squashed.  Several of the keys are broken, and the little lights
> have an AT&T mouse, which plugs into the keyboard.  I don't know if
> any of the replacement keyboards have the little plug for the mouse.
> Anyone have any experience with any of them?  Your help is
> appreciated.
>
> -Doug DeJulio
> bitnet: r747dd26@cmccvb, doug@drycas

The keytronics KB 5151 has a version compatible for the AT&T but it
does not support the mouse port.  Also, the discounted price you see
for the Keytronics will not apply (usually) to the AT&T model since
most dealers must special order it.  The separate numeric and cursor
pads are a sham in the sense that only one can be active at once and
they are toggled by useing a "cursor pad" key located above them.
The list cost is about $150.

I would recommend spending the $90 (I believe) to buy a new AT&T Kbd,
you can use either the 6300 (#301) or 6300+ (#302) model, rather than
wasting your mouse.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The diatribe above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

gpw@ihdev.ATT.COM (G. P. Wilkin) (04/20/87)

The AT&T 301 and 302 keyboards are the only ones which support the mouse.
The new 303 keyboard does not support the mouse.
Keytronics make a keyboard for the 6300 without the mouse port.

If the circut board is not cracked you might be able to recove the existing
keyboard.
--
George Wilkin 	AT&T Network Systems, Naperville, IL
		!ihnp4!ihdev!gpw  IH 4A-157  work 312-979-4317

dd26#@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. Dejulio) (04/21/87)

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To: nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc@andrew.cmu.edu

Thanks for the help.  I've decided to *try* to repair the old keyboard, and,
if not successful, I'm gonna buy another of the same kind from AT&T.

-Doug DeJulio
BITNET: doug@drycas, dd26@cmuccvma

ritchie@hplsdla.UUCP (04/23/87)

  Dept. of possible solutions:

  Open the keyboard up. See who makes it (most likely Keytronics or
  Microswitch, since it is an AT&T unit). You can most likely get
  replacement parts from the manufacturer (especially if you have a
  PC board number, model number). Many of these keyboards are variants
  of a standardized model w/ options such as mice, etc. added.

					Dave Ritchie
					hp-lsd!ritchie