[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM PS/2 benchmarks?

jqj@gvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

I just spent more than an hour wading through all the recent messages on this
newsgroup about the new IBM product announcements.  Noticeably lacking was
any (much) content.  Except for a couple of messages, I learned nothing that
I didn't already know from reading the trade press.

Please, does ANYONE who has played with these new machines have any hard
performance data apart from the stupid Norton SI benchmark?  In particular,
can anyone confirm or deny the IBM claims that the new bus structure and
disk interleave provide dramatic performance improvements over, say, a
carefully tuned clone?  If the IBM claims are correct, the new bus technology
could be the one major advantage the new machines have over the current crop
of clones.

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (04/17/87)

In article <813@gvax.cs.cornell.edu> jqj@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (J Q Johnson) writes:
>Please, does ANYONE who has played with these new machines have any hard
>performance data apart from the stupid Norton SI benchmark?  In particular,
>can anyone confirm or deny the IBM claims that the new bus structure and
>disk interleave provide dramatic performance improvements over, say, a
>carefully tuned clone?  If the IBM claims are correct, the new bus technology
>could be the one major advantage the new machines have over the current crop
>of clones.

Our local IBM office is having a PC Fair on campus here and will be
demonstrating the MODEL 30, MODEL 50, MODEL 60. I will be running some
benchmarks (Dhrystones, Whetstone, PC Magazine series etc.) on them and
will post the results here sometime at the end of next week.

--
-----------------------
Atul Kacker

lowey@sask.UUCP (Kevin Lowey) (04/24/87)

Hi there,

  "jqj@gvax.UUCP" says:

> Please, does ANYONE who has played with these new machines have any hard
> performance data apart from the stupid Norton SI benchmark?

  The following is a table of "benchmarks" I used to compare some of the
computers I have access to.  (Sorry, but I have SI as well :-).

   Other than the Norton benchmark, all benchmarks were done using Turbo
Pascal.  The Sieve and Diskwrite benchmarks both called the system clock
at the start and end of the programs, so the times should be accurate to
1/30 of a second.  The compile benchmark was done with my wristwatch and
cat like reflexes (by cat I mean Garfield).

  The  SIEVE  benchmark  strictly  tests  CPU  power.   There is no disk use.
It computes prime numbers.

  The COMPILE benchmarks compiles a 6800 line Turbo Pascal program.  Most  of
the files  came  from  include  files,  so  the  disk  speed  is  important
in this benchmark, but the CPU speed also contributes.  This test was repeated
for both floppy and hard disks.

  The  DISKWRITE  benchmark  timed  how  long  it  took  to write 160K to a
disk, character by character (not block writes).  This was repeated  for
floppy  and hard disks.

  The  SI benchmark is the result from the Norton Utility SYSINFO command.
It is supposed to return the speed of the computer relative to  the  IBM-PC,
but  it greatly exaggerates results from the 80286 based machines.

  Because of the limited time I had to do this, the table is incomplete
in places.

================ Fire Extinguisher (A grain of salt Dept.) ===============

  I realize that everything but SI and SIEVE test DISK DRIVE speed rather
than CPU horsepower, so most of the benchmarks have to be taken with a
grain of salt.  Please, no flames about my benchmark methodology. I plan
later to put together a full battery of tests of things such as screen speed,
Floating arithmetic, Integer arithmetic, Memory Access, etc.  If there is
enough interest, I'll post some renewed benchmarks at my convienience (we
are currently moving our offices so you will just have to wait!!).

| Benchmark results for Various Microcomputers   (All times in seconds)      |
|                 |       | Compile | Compile | Diskwrite | Diskwrite |  SI  |
|     System      | Sieve |   Hard  | Floppy  |   Hard    |  Floppy   |      |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM-XT(3.5"disk)| 28.78 |    --   | 3:17.31 |    --     | 73.43     |  1.0 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM-XT(5.25")   | 28.34 | 2:20.67 | 3:15.37 | 40.75     | 72.17     |  1.0 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| Zenith-158(v20) | 26.92 | 2:18.68 | 3:12.94 | 41.30     | 71.79     |  1.7 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM Model 30    | 10.49 | 1:03.85 | 2:06.41 | 17.58     | 72.72     |  1.9 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM AT (6MHz)   |  9.66 |   55.81 | 1:48.17 | 18.24     | 60.14     |  5.7 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM XT286       |  7.03 |    --   |    --   | 12.53     | 60.09     |  7.1 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| DEC VAXmate     |  7.00 |   43.84 | 1:48.93 | 11.89     | 72.61     |  7.7 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM Model 50    |  5.55 |   37.98 | 1:44.66 | 13.45     | 72.61     | 10.3 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| IBM Model 60    |  5.55 |   33.35 | 1:44.43 | 11.36     | 72.61     | 10.3 |
|-----------------+-------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+------|
| Zenith-248      |  4.99 |   33.17 | 1:48.74 | 12.19     | 60.36     |  9.2 |

I guess "the quality goes in before the name goes on", Right IBM?
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

| Kevin Lowey                    |The above is the personal opinion of Kevin |
| University of Saskatchewan     |Lowey.  It does not reflect the position of|
| Computing Services             |the University of Saskatchewan in any way. |
| SaskTel: (306) 966-4826        |                                           |
| Bitnet:LOWEY@SASK. (preferred) |I am in no way affiliated with any of the  |
| UUCP:    ihnp4!sask!lowey.uucp |above mentioned companies other than U of S|