[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VT-100 device driver

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (Dale Gass) (03/19/87)

This summer I am planning to write a vt100.sys file which can be included
as a device in the CONFIG.SYS file.  This will emulate a VT100 terminal
escape sequences fully, including insert/delete line/character, etc, etc...

What I would like to know is if there is already such a driver written, just
in case I might be wasting time...

dalegass@dalcs.uucp

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (03/24/87)

/* Written 10:35 am  Mar 19, 1987 by dalegass@dalcs.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "VT-100 device driver" ---------- */
This summer I am planning to write a vt100.sys file which can be included
as a device in the CONFIG.SYS file.  This will emulate a VT100 terminal
escape sequences fully, including insert/delete line/character, etc, etc...

What I would like to know is if there is already such a driver written, just
in case I might be wasting time...

dalegass@dalcs.uucp
/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */

If you can make the pc's keypad behave like a real vt100 keypad, I'd be
interested!

catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <58200024@gorgo.UUCP> ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

>/* Written 10:35 am  Mar 19, 1987 by dalegass@dalcs.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "VT-100 device driver" ---------- */
>This summer I am planning to write a vt100.sys file which can be included
>as a device in the CONFIG.SYS file.  This will emulate a VT100 terminal
>escape sequences fully, including insert/delete line/character, etc, etc...
>
>What I would like to know is if there is already such a driver written, just
>in case I might be wasting time...
>
>dalegass@dalcs.uucp
>/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
>
>If you can make the pc's keypad behave like a real vt100 keypad, I'd be
>interested!

Nansi.sys, available in source via anonymous ftp from the Info-PC digests
at c.isi.edu, implements a very complete set of Ansi commands, including
the ones you mention.  It is a superset of and replacement for IBM's
incomplete implementation, Ansi.sys.  Nansi.sys is often included with
packages like PC-Hace and MicroEmacs that require it's full Ansi implementation
to correctly function.

As to making the PC's keyboard behave like a real vt100, that is a different
problem, and the proper concern of terminal emulators, not device drivers.
In the interest of refraining from a religious debate, I will simply
mention that PC/Intercom by Mark of the Unicorn has very good emulation,
CrossTalk is almost as good, and the new MS-Kermit ver 2.29 is also
good.  MS-Kermit has to be the emulator of choice if true color emulation
is desired; PC/Intercom treats all colors as simply reverse video, and
CrossTalk won't even do that!

					- Tony
					  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
					  catone@wharton.upenn.edu

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (04/10/87)

I'm acquianted with 'nansi'; I use it, but was not fully aware of all its
capabilities.

So far as "anonymous ftp", it would be nice to get lots of things, if only
I had arpa access :~-(

My comments about the emulator were to some degree facetious: nobody will
ever convince me that an XT's double row of function keys looks, or behaves,
anything like a VT-100/200/220 keypad. Try running VMS EDIT remotely from
an XT sometime. It aint fun! What I'd really like to see is an emulator that
makes the XT's keypad work as much like a VT-100 keypad as is possible (it's
short a few keys, but that's life). ESCAPE would map out to the GOLD KEY, the
"+" could be mapped to ENTER... I don't know if it's even possible.

David Drexler
ddrex@gorgo.UUCP

anderson@uwmacc.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <58200032@gorgo.UUCP>, ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

> So far as "anonymous ftp", it would be nice to get lots of things, if only
> I had arpa access :~-(

Info on how to access SIMTEL20 archives for non-arpa sites (via e-mail)
gets published about once a month. It's obviously not as neat as ftp,
which lets you muck around to your heart's content, but at least you're
not 100% out in the cold. I'm sorry to tantalize when I don't have the
straight poop ready to hand, but some kind soul will promptly send you
the right info if you ask.

> My comments about the emulator were to some degree facetious: nobody will
> ever convince me that an XT's double row of function keys looks, or behaves,
> anything like a VT-100/200/220 keypad. Try running VMS EDIT remotely from
> an XT sometime. It aint fun!

Without commenting on the prospect of putting the VT100 keypad on the
numeric keypad of a PC (that *has* to be possible, though?), I've just
recently started to use VMS, and not being biased by prior experience,
I'm having no difficulty at all with doing all the EDT functions from
the PC function keypad. We use ProComm for remote access to VMS, and
while most people agree that its implementation of the keypad in VT100
emulation mode is far from ideal, we used a shareware program called
NewKey to redefine the function keys to something we think is not that
bad. I have to say we think the latest version of NewKey we know about
(2.4) seems to have some problems [we're trying to find out more about
that]. Assuming we can get that all fixed up, we're going to try out
this arrangement on our staff and see what they think of it, as we're
all moving to the VMS machine and about half of us use PCs rather than
terminals.

--
==ARPA:==============anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,rutgers,  (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |

caf@omen.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <58200032@gorgo.UUCP> ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:
:                                       Try running VMS EDIT remotely from
:an XT sometime. It aint fun!

VMS EDIT uses vt-100 cursor tricks that most programs that claim to
emulate a vt-100 do not handle properly, including all the well known
ones.

A number of people use Pro-YAM or ZCOMM to access VAX systems without
problems.  According to numerous reports, they are the only general
purpose comm programs whose vt100 emulation is close enough for this
application.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf  Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"
  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231  Voice: 503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746 2400/1200  CIS:70007,2304  Genie:CAF  Source:TCE022
  omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
  omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

toma@killer.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <58200032@gorgo.UUCP>, ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

> I'm acquianted with 'nansi'; I use it, but was not fully aware of all its
> capabilities.
>
> My comments about the emulator were to some degree facetious: nobody will
> ever convince me that an XT's double row of function keys looks, or behaves,
> anything like a VT-100/200/220 keypad. Try running VMS EDIT remotely from
> an XT sometime. It aint fun! What I'd really like to see is an emulator that
> makes the XT's keypad work as much like a VT-100 keypad as is possible (it's
> short a few keys, but that's life). ESCAPE would map out to the GOLD KEY, the
> "+" could be mapped to ENTER... I don't know if it's even possible.
>
> David Drexler
> ddrex@gorgo.UUCP

MS-Kermit2.29 has an excellent VT-102 emulator, it will also allow mapping keys
to produce ANY string, the keys are mapped by scan code, so, you can set up and
key, CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, and any combination can be distinguished.
So...
I have a VT-102 keypad mapping script for MS-Kermit 2.29 for my Tandy-1000.
It took a VT-102 manual and about 30 minutes.

What I have is F1-F4 set up as PF1-PF4, PrtScr is the ','  and so on...
Here is the my MS-Kermit2.29 start up file 'MSKERMIT.INI', this (if you have
a Tandy-1000) will set up your keypad like that on a VT-102, if you don't have
a Tandy, just change the scan codes on the appropriate definitions.
*** ONE NOTE: in order for the 5 key on the keypad to produce a scan code,
the NumLock has to be pressed - this is a restriction on the keyboard driver
in most PC compatibles???

Tom
UUCP:           ihnp4\
                      \killer!toma
  infoswx!convex!dj3b1/
Tom Armistead

--- cut here ---

set port 1
set baud 1200
set parity n
set prompt Kermit>
set mode-line off
;turn off CGA mode, 10 = fast update mode
set terminal color 10
; Set Back Space key as	Ctrl-H
set key	scan 14
\010
; Set Ctrl-Back	Space as Delete
set key	scan 1038
\177
; do BBS will set backspace key to ^H
; do VAX will set backspace key to DEL - for a VAX...
define BBS set key scan	14,\010
define VAX set key scan	14,\177

; The following	4 key redifinitions are	to compensate for the on the
;  keypad of the Tandy 1000 - here, these keys are on the keypad
set key	scan 1171
\134
set key	scan 1172
~
set key	scan 1173

set key	scan 1178
`

COMMENT	*********** VT-102 Keypad Setup	***********
COMMENT	Depress	Num-Lock to put	Keypad into VT-102 Mode
COMMENT	F1 - F4	are equal to PF1 - PF4 respectively
COMMENT	F6  or shift keypad 8 is Up Arrow
COMMENT	F10 or shift keypad 2 is Down Arrow
COMMENT	F8  or shift keypad 6 is Right Arrow
COMMENT	F7  or shift keypad 4 is Left Arrow
;pf1 thru pf4
set key	f1
\033OP
set key	f2
\033OQ
set key	f3
\033OR
set key	f4
\033OS
; f6 or	shift 8	= up arrow
set key	f6
\033OA
set key	scan 584
\033OA
; f10 or shift 2 = down	arrow
set key	f10
\033OB
set key	scan 592
\033OB
; f8 or	shift 6	= right	arrow
set key	f8
\033OC
set key	scan 589
\033OC
; f7 or	shift 4	= left arrow
set key	f7
\033OD
set key	scan 587
\033OD
;
;key pad
; '0'
set key	scan 82
\033Op
; '1'
set key	scan 79
\033Oq
; '2'
set key	scan 80
\033Or
; '3'
set key	scan 81
\033Os
; '4'
set key	scan 75
\033t
; '5'
set key	scan 76
\033Ou
; '6'
set key	scan 77
\033Ov
; '7'
set key	scan 71
\033Ow
; '8'
set key	scan 72
\033Ox
; '9'
set key	scan 73
\033Oy
; '-'
set key	scan 83
\033Om
; ',' (PRINT key)
set key	scan 55
\033Ol
; '.'
set key	scan 86
\033On
; 'ENTER' (enter on Tandy keypad - has to be big PLUS key for IBM)
set key	scan 87
\033OM
; set back space to DEL
set key	scan 14
\177
; default to terminal mode
connect

brandon@tdi2.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (04/13/87)

Quoted from <58200032@gorgo.UUCP> ["Re: VT-100 device driver"], by ddrex@gorgo.UUCP...
+---------------
| an XT sometime. It aint fun! What I'd really like to see is an emulator that
| makes the XT's keypad work as much like a VT-100 keypad as is possible (it's
| short a few keys, but that's life). ESCAPE would map out to the GOLD KEY, the
| "+" could be mapped to ENTER... I don't know if it's even possible.
+---------------

Someone should find out if the ITT XTRA keyboard can be used on a PC/XT/AT/
(insert favorite botch here).  It has an Enter key on the keypad.  Very
useful; I don't see why IBM machine owners put up with not having it.

++Brando
--
Brandon S. Allbery	           UUCP: cbatt!cwruecmp!ncoast!tdi2!brandon
Tridelta Industries, Inc.         CSNET: ncoast!allbery@Case

wrp@krebs.UUCP (04/16/87)

>VMS EDIT uses vt-100 cursor tricks that most programs that claim to
>emulate a vt-100 do not handle properly, including all the well known
>ones.
>
>Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX Author of Pro-YAM

	I use PC-Intercomm from Mark of the Unicorn routinely to edit
on a VMS system with EDIT (and also emacs, vi, etc) and have never had
any problems with the VT100 emulation, even at 9600 baud.  Perhaps it
is simply not well enough known.

Bill Pearson
...!seismo!virginia!wrp
wrp@virginia.BITNET

cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Christopher N Maag) (04/21/87)

In case anyone *really* wants to know, a PC/XT flavor ITT XTRA keyboard will
work on any IBM compatable that can use a standard keyboard.  The ITT ATW/286
keyboard will work on any AT type compatable that can use a standard AT
keyboard.  Both types of ITT keyboards have a very nice feel, and are well
designed.  They should be available for about $70 for the PC and $100 for the
AT at any ITT dealer.

lkw@titan.UUCP (Larry Wake) (04/23/87)

In article <341@tdi2.UUCP> Pnews swears brandon@tdi2.UUCP (Brandon Allbery)
wrote:
>Someone should find out if the ITT XTRA keyboard can be used on a PC/XT/AT/
>(insert favorite botch here).  It has an Enter key on the keypad.  Very
>useful; I don't see why IBM machine owners put up with not having it.

But both the IBM ?T's I use (an XT and an RT) *DO* have an Enter key on
the keyboard -- the "this time, for sure!" new IBM standard keyboard,
to be specific.  It only took them 5 years and a good hard look at the
DEC LK-201 keyboard, but they finally came up with a really nice
layout.  Now, if only my terminal emulator of choice (VTERM) understood
that all these swell new keys were there, and that it doesn't have to
use F7 through F10 as arrow keys any more...
--
Larry Wake                   uucp:   {ihnp4 | hplabs | psivax}!csun!lkw
CSUN Computer Center         BITNET: RETPLKW@CALSTATE

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Atul Kacker) (04/25/87)

In article <185@titan.UUCP> lkw@csun.UUCP (Larry Wake) writes:
>But both the IBM ?T's I use (an XT and an RT) *DO* have an Enter key on
>the keyboard -- the "this time, for sure!" new IBM standard keyboard,
>to be specific.

Well, I looked at the new keyboard and decided that I would reconfigure
the keys so that I could use the Enter key in Kermit when logging to CMS.
Anyway I looked at the scan codes generated by SHO KEY in Kermit and to
my surprise Enter on the keypad had the same scan code as the Enter on the
keyboard (The Return key in other words). So there was no way I could
actually use that key. What gives ? Why the same scan codes ?

--
Atul Kacker