[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS CodeView

lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (04/07/87)

I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.

--
Michael Lodman
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego

gardner@kodak.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <1501@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Michael Lodman) writes:
>I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
>Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
>turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
>just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.

Early in March, Walter Bright (FutureNet Corp - Redmond WA) offered a
patch for Codeview, which I installed on my Original IBM AT using a
QuadEGA+, and it worked like a charm.  My screen colors used to start
up as a garish green and pink, which then could only be 'healed' by
continuing deeper into Codeview, or re-booting.

Here is the patch again, as Walter wrote it:

PATCH for CodeView version 1.00
This patch will disable the saving and restoring of the EGA
palette registers (for those clones that can't do this).

		copy cv.exe cv.dat
		debug cv.dat
		e 2f37
		0
		e 2f6b
		90 90 90
		rename cv.exe cv.old
		rename cv.dat cv.exe

----------------- end of patch ------------------------

Hope this works for you as it did for me.

=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14650
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
                   UUCP: {allegra,seismo}!rochester!kodak!gardner
   "Research is what I do when I don't know what I'm doing"
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#

lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (04/09/87)

The other thing I don't like about CodeView is that it flips into the
output screen as the default when you are tracing through code. Is
there a way to make not flipping to the output screen the default?

By the way, the patch for the pink and green screen works great!

--

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (04/09/87)

> I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
> Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
> turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
> just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.
> --
> Michael Lodman  {sdcsvax,cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA,ihnp4}!ncr-sd!lodman

CodeView doesn't work with most EGA-type cards, except in 43-line
mode.  MicroSoft was coding around some "undocumented features"
(read bugs) on IBM's EGA, and inadvertently broke it on non-IBM
cards.  Anyway, they have a free patch to CodeView that fixes this.
You can call their 800- number to find out how to get the patch.

In general, MicroSoft has a bad reputation for only testing their
code on IBM hardware.  As another example, Windows attempts to
detect the presence of an EGA card by looking for the string "IBM"
in a fixed location in the EGA BIOS.  (And this is in spite of the
fact that they developed Windows using Tandy 2000s!)
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

jack@csccat.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <1501@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, lodman@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mike Lodman) writes:
> I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
> Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
> turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
> just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.
> --
> Michael Lodman

The problem is that codeview loads fonts and re-calcs the screen and then
sets the pallet which apperently gets screwed up. So here is the
fix.
The following is a debug session to fix the problem. Be sure to save
a copy of codeview somewhere else incase things get screwed up.

C>RENAME CV.EXE CV      /* this causes the debugger to load as image */
C>DEBUG CV
-D DS:3241 L2 <ret>
CD 10			/* if you don't get CD 10 here then see below */
-E DS:3241 <ret>
CD:90 <ret>		/* change the call to a NOP */
10:90 <ret>		/* change the interupt number 10 to a NOP */
-D DS:3280 L2 <ret>
CD 10			/* if you don't get CD 10 here then see below */
-E DS:3280 <ret>
CD:90 <ret>
10:90 <ret>
-W <ret>		/* write file out */
-Q <ret>		/* exit debugger */
C>RENAME CV CV.EXE

Run it and see if it works.

IF YOU DON'T FIND THE "CD 10" TRY THIS

-S DS:0000 FFFE B8 02 10 CD 10

This will search for all the interrupt 10 calls that cause the problem,
NOP theses out like I show you above.

--
Jack Hudler, Computer Support Corporation, Carrollton,Texas 75006 (214)661-8960

phil@sci.UUCP (Phil Kaufman) (04/12/87)

In article <1501@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, lodman@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Mike Lodman) writes:
> I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
> Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
> turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
> just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.

I have the same problem on a panasonic 800 with a vega delux board. a simple,
but not very satisfying workaround is to switch to the user screen and back
at which time the colors seen to get magically fixed.
basic problem is that microsoft did a very poor job of coding the ega
software

heins@orion.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <1501@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Michael Lodman) writes:
>I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
>Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
>turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
>just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.

Thats interesting.  I have an AST (AT compatible) and a Thompson color
monitor (ultra scan).  (The AST includes an EGA).  CodeView also does really
wierd color things to my display if I try to run it in 43 line mode.  I figured
it was a problem with the monitor, but maybe CodeView is doing strange things...

--
	...!hplabs!sdcrdcf!trwrb!orion!heins

	We are a way for the universe to know itself. -- Carl Sagan

len@elxsi.UUCP (04/16/87)

<          MUNCH          >

In article <51@orion.UUCP> heins@orion.UUCP (Michael Heins) writes:
>In article <1501@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> lodman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Michael Lodman) writes:
>>I am using MS 4.0 and CodeView on an NCR PC-8 (AT Compatable) with a
>>Video-7 Vega EGA card. My problem is that whenever I start CodeView it
>>turns the screen pink and green. Does anyone know how I can make it
>>just come up in normal colors? The manual was no help at all.
>>
>Thats interesting.  I have an AST (AT compatible) and a Thompson color
>monitor (ultra scan).  (The AST includes an EGA).  CodeView also does really
>wierd color things to my display if I try to run it in 43 line mode.  I figured
>it was a problem with the monitor, but maybe CodeView is doing strange things...

MSC CodeView, as distributed with MSC 4.0 works just fine on a Samsung
S-286 with a Samsung monitor, Paradise Auto-switch card, and a Mouse
Systems Mouse.  I ALWAYS use it in 43-line mode.  When in doubt, suspect
the EGA (:-); I borrowed a Video-7, and it behaves just like Michael
said it would, unless I ran EGApaint first and mucked with the color
maps.

stevenp@gvgpsa.UUCP (Steven Parkes) (04/29/87)

We have a whole lot of Everex AT clones, including their clone ega card which
uses the Chips and Tech. chip set.  There is a problem with CodeView and,
although it works fine on the IBM ega, it has caused problems on all our clones
that use the C&T set.  MS has a fix and shipped it too me within days of
calling them.  I'd post it, but MS might not like that.  Its a real short
debug script.  Give them a call.  My system now works just fine.

steven
tektronix!gvgpsas: s: s