[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Does NEC Multisync work with new VDI?

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (04/15/87)

The Subject: line says it all, I guess.  I'd like specs on what the
new VDI in the IBM model 50/60/80 will accept in the way of monitors.
I'm particularly interested in whether the NEC Multisync and the
Thomson/Mitsubishi multifrequency monitor will work.

On a related note: anyone have an estimate as to when the clone
makers will have a VDI-compatible video board?  I'm trying to
decide whether to get an EGA board now, pay big buck$ for IBM's
VDI board, or wait for a VDI board clone.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

mmm@gssc.UUCP (Preacher McLain) (04/17/87)

In article <1631@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
|The Subject: line says it all, I guess.  I'd like specs on what the
|new VDI in the IBM model 50/60/80 will accept in the way of monitors.
     ^^^

	I believe you mean the new VGA (Video Graphics Array).  There's no
such thing as a VDI (Virtual Device Interface) video board, that I know of.
VDI is a software graphics standard not a hardware standard.  (Not a flame,
merely an explanation!)

|I'm particularly interested in whether the NEC Multisync and the
|Thomson/Mitsubishi multifrequency monitor will work.

	These monitors will not work with the new VGA, because they have 9-pin
plugs and the VGA requires a 15-pin plug.  I suppose a 9-to-15-pin adapter is
a possiblity, but I'm not sure even that would work.  The VGA is able to
detect whether it's hooked to a color or a monochrome monitor, so there must
be a signal from the monitor that probably isn't present in the NEC or T/M.

|On a related note: anyone have an estimate as to when the clone
|makers will have a VDI-compatible video board?  I'm trying to
|decide whether to get an EGA board now, pay big buck$ for IBM's
|VDI board, or wait for a VDI board clone.

	(Once again, it's a *VGA* board.)  I've seen reports in recent trade
rags in which some companies (I don't remember which ones) are claiming clones
will be available this year some time.  Time will tell.

--
			       Mitchell McLain
		    ...hplabs!tektronix!sequent!gssc!mmm

rrs11@amdahl.UUCP (Bob Snead) (04/23/87)

  In article <1631@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
  |I'm particularly interested in whether the NEC Multisync and the
  |Thomson/Mitsubishi multifrequency monitor will work.

We just called NEC about this and they said that the Multisync *will*
work with VGA.  You do need a new cable.

Bob Snead
Future Computing Technologies Group
Amdahl Corp.
143 E 350 S
Rexburg, ID, 83440
(208) 356-8915

UUCP: ..!{ihnp4, hplabs, amd, sun, ...}!amdahl!rrs11

jtc@dasher.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <371@gssc.UUCP> mmm@gssc.UUCP (Preacher McLain) writes:
>In article <1631@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:

>|I'm particularly interested in whether the NEC Multisync and the
>|Thomson/Mitsubishi multifrequency monitor will work.
>
>	These monitors will not work with the new VGA, because they have 9-pin
>plugs and the VGA requires a 15-pin plug.  I suppose a 9-to-15-pin adapter is
>a possiblity, but I'm not sure even that would work.  The VGA is able to
>detect whether it's hooked to a color or a monochrome monitor, so there must
>be a signal from the monitor that probably isn't present in the NEC or T/M.

According the PC Week (April 24, 1987) NEC reports that the multisync monitor
DOES in fact work with the new VGA standard.  It is true that there will be
a new cable and/or an "adaptor".

My impression (after reading many of the trade journals) is that Big Blue
wanted to make it so none of the new multisyncing monitors would work with
the new PS/2 computers (those guys, they are always trying to sell you THEIR
equipment).  Anyway, the published specs on the NEC said that the maximum
sync rate on the multisync was ~60Hz (vertical sync).  Therefore, IBM decided
that the perfect sync rate for the VGA would be 70Hz.

Well now, the really neat thing about this is that published specs for the
Multisync don't tell the whole story.  It seems that a "marketing
decision" was made to "not confuse the end user" by reporting specs that
up till that point were not needed.  The Multisync can really
go up to 100Hz and maybe even higher.  This was probably a heck of a
surprise for some product manager over at IBM.

Either somebody was a marketing genius at NEC, or all the people their should
change their name to "lucky".  I'm sure a lot of other peripheral
manufacturers will take note of what happened here.  It may not always be in
your best interest to report added capabilities of a new product; specially
when your friends in the blue pin-stripes are about to release a new,
proprietary computer line.

                                       - jtc

BTW, I really do not think that the employees of NEC should be thought of as
lucky, they have produced a truly superior product in the Multisync.

=    sdcsvax \                                Jeffrey T. Carter             =
=    ncrcae   - ncr-sd!jtc                    NCR ISS-OA E&M San Diego      =
=    or try   jtc@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.com     (619)485-2643                 =

The opinions stated here belong to me, and maybe only me.  They certainly
do not reflect those of the company that I work for :-).  I have no affiliation
with NEC or IBM accept as a customer, and a watcher of the marketplace.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (04/24/87)

In article <371@gssc.UUCP>, mmm@gssc.UUCP (Preacher McLain) writes:
> In article <1631@bnrmtv.UUCP> perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) writes:
> |The Subject: line says it all, I guess.  I'd like specs on what the
> |new VDI in the IBM model 50/60/80 will accept in the way of monitors.
>      ^^^
> |I'm particularly interested in whether the NEC Multisync and the
> |Thomson/Mitsubishi multifrequency monitor will work.
>
> 	These monitors will not work with the new VGA, because they have 9-pin
> plugs and the VGA requires a 15-pin plug.  I suppose a 9-to-15-pin adapter is
> a possiblity ...

NEC, Mitsubishi, Thompson, and Sony have all announced that they will make
an adaptor for the new PC's.

> |makers will have a VDI-compatible video board?  I'm trying to
> |decide whether to get an EGA board now, pay big buck$ for IBM's
> |VDI board, or wait for a VDI board clone.
>
> 	(Once again, it's a *VGA* board.)  I've seen reports in recent trade
> rags in which some companies (I don't remember which ones) are claiming clones
> will be available this year some time.  Time will tell.
>
> 			       Mitchell McLain
> 		    ...hplabs!tektronix!sequent!gssc!mmm

Paradise is claiming a compatible board will be ready in 3 months. Chips
says 6 months. I think AST and Quadram are also saying 6 months.

You might want to look at the new Pepper board from from Number Nine in the
Boston area. It is available now/soon and uses the TI TMS34010 (?) chip.
There is a brief description in the 4/21/87 issue of PC WEEK near the
front.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

cmaag@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Christopher N Maag) (04/24/87)

According to many of the multiscanning monitor makers, including NEC and
Thomson, their monitors will work with the new graphics controllers found
in the new IBM PS/2 line.  The only problem is that you need to get an adapter
to convert from the 15-pin connector to the 9-pin connector.  These should
be readily available from the manufacturers in a few weeks.  If you are
curious about this topic, you will want to take a look at the latest issue
of PC Week, as it has a detailed atricle about this subject.

mjm@cantor.UUCP (Michael Markowitz) (05/04/87)

> |I'm particularly interested in whether the NEC Multisync and the
> |Thomson/Mitsubishi multifrequency monitor will work.
>
> 	These monitors will not work with the new VGA, because they have 9-pin
> plugs and the VGA requires a 15-pin plug.  I suppose a 9-to-15-pin adapter is
> a possiblity, but I'm not sure even that would work.  The VGA is able to
> detect whether it's hooked to a color or a monochrome monitor, so there must
> be a signal from the monitor that probably isn't present in the NEC or T/M.
>
> 			       Mitchell McLain
> 		    ...hplabs!tektronix!sequent!gssc!mmm

NEC has announced that the MultiSync will indeed work with the VGA and
they expect to have the required cables available within the next month.

Michael J. Markowitz
Dept. of Math. Sciences
Loyola Univ. of Chicago
Chicago, IL  60626