[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1-2-3 and LOG-LOG plots?

rusty@nmsu-ee.UUCP (Rusty Baldwin) (04/30/87)

This note is directed to LOTUS 1-2-3 Ver. 2 guru's. I wanted to plot some
data from lotus using log-log plots or semi-log plots. Is there a way
to do that with 1-2-3? Any help would be appreciated.

                               Rusty Baldwin
                               nmsu-ee!rusty

cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) (05/03/87)

In article <180004@nmsu-ee.UUCP>, rusty@nmsu-ee.UUCP (Rusty Baldwin) writes:

> lotus using log-log plots or semi-log plots. Is there a way
> to do that with 1-2-3? Any help would be appreciated.

There certainly is Rusty... One way is to simply use the @log() function
on the data you are going to plot and then simply state in the legend of
your plot that to get the actual data points (x,y) you merely take the
plotted points and raise 10 to whatever they are... i.e.

x = 10^(x point on lotus graph)
y = 10^(y point on lotus graph)

for a log-log plot.

/Carl
uucp:...mcnc!unccvax!cbenda
Disclaimer.... I never claim anything

anton@utai.UUCP (05/03/87)

In article <180004@nmsu-ee.UUCP> rusty@nmsu-ee.UUCP (Rusty Baldwin) writes:

>This note is directed to LOTUS 1-2-3 Ver. 2 guru's. I wanted to plot some
>data from lotus using log-log plots or semi-log plots. Is there a way
>to do that with 1-2-3? Any help would be appreciated.
>

>                               Rusty Baldwin
>                               nmsu-ee!rusty

Where I used to work, a few years back, we used to convert 1-2-3 tables into
Energraphics(TM) files.  Energraphics supports semi-log plots very nicely,
and the conversion procedure is not too complicated.

P.S. New version of Energraphics may be even better than the one I used.

coffee@aero.ARPA (Peter C. Coffee) (05/04/87)

In article <698@unccvax.UUCP> cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) writes:
>In article <180004@nmsu-ee.UUCP>, rusty@nmsu-ee.UUCP (Rusty Baldwin) writes:
>> lotus...log-log plots...Is there a way...?
>
>...simply use the @log() function..and...state in the legend...

I think we can do a little better than this: take the log, but suppress the
scales with /Graph Options Scale [X Scale | YScale] Format Hidden; then use
a spare range like F with appropriate data points to draw grid lines, for
example, at 10-20-50-100... intervals and use /Data Labels to label the lines
accordingly. The labels will be inside the boundaries, but properly done this
can still look pretty good. I assume this is worth this much trouble? P.S.:
if you didn't know, pairs of values with empty cells between them can be used
to draw arbitrary line segments in a 1-2-3 XY plot. Handy.